Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Confused help please!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Catherine

Catherine Report 15 Jun 2004 19:33

Confused..... need help!!! Help, am getting very confused!! 1)I have found my GGG uncle on 1881 and 1891 census. In 1881 he had obviously had children because he had a 14 week old grand-daughter staying on the night of the Census! The child had the same surname as him, so she was either the daughter of his son or of his unmarried daughter! In 1891 she was still living with her grand parents, so still none the wiser to parentage!Have been unable to find a birth certificate for her so have got no further! Any ideas? 2) Sticking with the same GGG uncle, in 1891, he had 2 other grand children staying both with different surnames, so they must have been children of married daughters! *************************************************** The information in 1881, I have is: JAMES ALLEN Head born ALSTONEFIELD STAFFS age 68, Farm Lab MARY ALLEN Wife born ALSTONEFIELD STAFFS age 59, Farm Lab wife MARY ELLEN ALLEN Grand-daughter born HARTINGTON DERBY age 14 weeks Dwelling: Heath Cote Census Place: Alsop Le Dale DERBY *************************************************** 1891 The information in 1891, I have is: JAMES ALLEN Head born ALSTONEFIELD STAFFS age 75, General Labourer GEORGE DAWSON Grandson bornBIGGIN DERBYSHIRE age 23 Farm Labourer MARY ALLEN Grand-daughter born ALSOP LE DALE DERBYSHIRE age 11 FRANCIS PURDY Grand-daughter born ASHBOURNE DERBYSHIRE age 6 Dale Cottage Alsop le Dale DERBYSHIRE *************************************************** Found the rest of the PURDY family in 1891 with MARY ALLEN as a visitor. James and Marys daughter was ELIZABETH ALLEN who married FRANCIS PURDY! Who were George Dawsons parents? Who were Mary Allen junior parents? Cate :-s

Unknown

Unknown Report 15 Jun 2004 20:18

Cate I am confused too. You say you found James Allen on 1881 and then you say you went back to 1881 and found two families which could be yours. Start with what you know and then go back - have you got death, marriage & birth certs to link these families? Give me some questions eg can you find this birth reference and I will do my best. Helen

Catherine

Catherine Report 16 Jun 2004 06:09

Have up-dated message Helen, is it any clearer?? Cate :-)

Unknown

Unknown Report 16 Jun 2004 16:34

Catherine Much clearer, thanks. I think the only way you will find George Dawson and Mary Allen's parents is to get their birth certs/find their baptism records. The question I'd ask is why are they staying with the grandparents, especially in 1881 Mary was only 14 weeks. It is quite possible her mother died in childbirth/as a result of complications of childbirth. If you find James and Mary senior's wedding reference that might give you a timeframe for their children. I don't know if this is them, but the IGI gives a marriage for JAMES ALLEN (father Joseph) to MARY ALLSOP 31 Dec 1840, Alsop En Le Dale, Derbys. Mary's age at marriage was 20. Also two other Allen marriages in Alsop ELD 1) the one you know about, Elizabeth to Francis purdy (aged 22 at time of marriage) and 2) Fanny Allen (father James) married HENRY BROOMFIELD 31 Dec 1874. Henry's age 31. Helen

Catherine

Catherine Report 16 Jun 2004 18:32

Hellen, Thank you so much for that, I never seem to be able to find anything on IGI, but after looking up the info you told me I have also found the marriage of William Allen - James Brother that I have been looking for for months!!!!!! Thank you again! Cate:-))

Unknown

Unknown Report 16 Jun 2004 19:29

Catherine My pleasure. This happens to me too. I look and look and then someone says "here you are"!

Catherine

Catherine Report 16 Jun 2004 19:47

Helen, looks like I've found George Dawsons parents. On IGI there was a Martha Allen (father James) born ALD. Did cenus look up for Martha DAWSON and bingo right age, birth place etc and all her other children born in Hartington like George. Nothing definite yet but gives me something to work on!! P.S. Found George in 1881 in service!! Cate :-))