Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Question: Need to check a church and a street in L

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Foxyfeline

Foxyfeline Report 15 Jun 2004 16:05

I wonder if someone could tell me where St.Michael and all the Angels, Bromley is. Would this be Bromley By Bow?? Also where Abbots Road, Bromley is, again, am I looking at the right Bromley? They are definately in London, and would they have been near each other? I can't find Abbots Road anywhere in that area, nor on Lost London Streets. Thanks, Lisa, xx

Unknown

Unknown Report 15 Jun 2004 16:38

I didn't find anything in the index, but I was just idly looking at my London map and I've found ABBOTT ROAD (b125). It runs east and then south from the A12 Northern Approach to East India Dock Road. No luck with the church yet, but I'm working on it. Helen

Foxyfeline

Foxyfeline Report 15 Jun 2004 16:45

Thanks ever so much Rosemary and Helen. The road and church are definately in London. It was my GGrandfather that lived there. In 1890 on his marriage cert that I have just received, it says that he was living in St. Michaels and all the Angels! (They actually got married in East Finchley, where my GGrandmother came from). Then on the 1891 census, which was a few months after their wedding, they are living on Abbots Road. For both of these, it says Bromley. Then, in 1892, when my Nanna was born, they were living in Upper Holloway! Thanks again Lisa xx

PennyDainty

PennyDainty Report 15 Jun 2004 16:49

Hi I,m just popping out so don't have time to look it up but you might find this site useful http://www.gendocs.demon(.)co.uk/churches.html Hope it helps bye Christine

Unknown

Unknown Report 15 Jun 2004 16:53

The webpage below is on Genuki and is a list of churches in Bromley by Bow. St Michael's is mentioned as being in st Leonard's Road and possibly no longer there. http://homepages.gold.ac.uk/genuki/MDX/Stepney/Churches.htm St Leonard's Road on the map is parallel to and west of the A12 Northern approach, and on the same latitude as Abbott Road. Hope this helps. Helen

Anna

Anna Report 15 Jun 2004 16:53

Got this from genuki,anglican churches in Poplar Bromley, St. Michael and All Angels, St. Leonard's Road [1867] Closed 1975, now gone??? 1971 parish united with All Saints w. St. Frideswide, Poplar and with St. Saviour w. St. Gabriel & St. Stephen Poplar to form Parish of Poplar. see SAINT MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS, BROMLEY, SAINT LEONARD'S ROAD, TOWER HAMLETS for registers at LMA Anna

Foxyfeline

Foxyfeline Report 15 Jun 2004 16:59

Well, I must say, thank you all so very much!! I am sitting here with my London A-Z, and now Helen has so very kindly found the street for me, I can see St. leonards Road, and now it all makes sense. I was looking for Abbots Road with an 'S', and it doesn't have one! I did find the Genuki site, after looking the church up on Google, but didn't know if I had the right Bromley or not. Now I can understand, and also it makes double sense, because my GGrandma had her picture taken at around that time at a photographers on the East India Dock Road, so there you are, I think I definately have the right area now. Thanks everyone so much for that, it would have taken me ages to work it out on my own. You are all stars. :-))))) Lisa xx

Foxyfeline

Foxyfeline Report 15 Jun 2004 17:11

Thankyou Rosemary, Helen, Christine, and Anna for helping me. Much appreciated. Lisa xx

Unknown

Unknown Report 15 Jun 2004 19:12

Lisa It's always nice to be successful - quite often one can't find what one is looking for! Best wishes Helen

Foxyfeline

Foxyfeline Report 15 Jun 2004 19:30

Yes Helen, I am over the moon at the moment, I am sooo excited, just knowing where they were at that time. Oh......bliss........ Lisa xx