Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Henderate/Henrietta are they the same name?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Chris

Chris Report 15 Jun 2004 06:38

My husband's ancestor Robert Munro was born 1816 Keith Banffshire Scotland. His parents James Munro and Henrietta Gordon. On IGI I found Hendrate Gordon m James Munro 18 Sep 1798 Keith Banff. I looked on Scotlands people and they also had Henderate Gordon. IGI also lists all Henderate and James Munros children including our Robert Munro. Is Henderate an old Scottish name that Henrietta is a less formal version of?

Devon Dweller

Devon Dweller Report 15 Jun 2004 09:36

Hi Christine I'd guess that it's the galic version of Henrietta. Sheila

Geoff

Geoff Report 15 Jun 2004 10:29

Google finds *no* instances of Henderate at all which, if it is a real name, seems surprising.

Ian

Ian Report 15 Jun 2004 11:18

Christine, My grandfather was Scottish, and pronounced the name Henry as 'Hendry' (no, he wasn't stupid!). Perhaps it is a similar pattern in Scottish speech that turns Henrietta into Henderate. Just a thought. Ian

Judith

Judith Report 15 Jun 2004 11:47

Searching the net I couldn't find any Henderate's I found several instances of the christian name Hendrietta, Hendretta and one Henderetta. Most seemed to have scottishsurnames. I would say yes your Henderate and Henrietta are one and the same.

Chris

Chris Report 15 Jun 2004 12:57

Thanks very much for your replies - I tried "Ask Jeeves" with no success - maybe it was just the pronunication. The Henrietta version definitely continued on through the line but not Henderate.