Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

any suggestions and advice please .

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jackie

Jackie Report 14 Jun 2004 08:47

have been reting to trace my grt grt grandad for about a year with no luck . can only find them on the 1881 living in lancashire. his names is michael henry born around 1833 .( going by his age on census ) born in ireland . married to susan vernon born in ireland around 1839 . 5 children . cannot find them on the 1891 . cannot find his birth , his marriage his death anywhere . cannot him or his wife and children on the 1891 . he would have died between 1881 and 1899 as he is down as deceased on his sons marriage cert , hope this makes sense , any advice on where to look next would be very much appreciated , jackie

Linda

Linda Report 14 Jun 2004 09:16

I know how frustrating this is I have had the same problem. Try every variation of the spelling you can as different accents and peoples hearing can make them write strange things down. I have certs for my Grandmother and her parents marriage certificate but cannot find them on any census when they should show on three. Don't give up, even concentrating on first names and working out spellins of last names can produce results

Janice

Janice Report 14 Jun 2004 09:18

Have you tried every spelling you can think of for his name? I found loads of family members when I started spelling my g g grandfathers name in what can only be described as a creative manner. Unfortunately I still haven't found my g g grandfathers birth!

Janice

Janice Report 14 Jun 2004 09:25

Which just goes to show that most problems affect other people. Why do we love this exasperating hobby!!??

Jackie

Jackie Report 14 Jun 2004 09:45

hi linda and janice thankyou both , i have tried a few different spellings but still nothing , but im sure they will be there somewhere. there eldest son was called EPHRAIM ( it says daughter on the census but i guess it would be wrong ) born around 1856 so i thought looking for hi would be easier because i wouldnt have thought it would be a very popular name , but still nothing , thankyou anyway will just keep trying . janice , this hobby is easily becoming an obsession , cheers jackie.

Mary

Mary Report 14 Jun 2004 12:53

Hi Jackie, For anyone born in Ireland, try putting a "Mac" or a "Mul" in front of their name. I searched for years for the parents of a Margaret Lally, that is how she was registered. I finally found her parents marriage certificate and the father was a Mullally. Your family must be somewhere. Mary

Jackie

Jackie Report 14 Jun 2004 22:48

hi mary thankyou , never thought of trying that , will give it a go ( fingers crossed ) cheers jackie.