Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Rellies born in Turkey

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Mary

Mary Report 13 Jun 2004 17:25

Among one family in my tree two of the sons are recorded on 1891-1881-1901 as being born in Turkey. The parents are English born as are the rest of the children. These two were born in 1861 and 63 and I'm trying to figure out why they would have been born there. It's been suggested that maybe father was in the Military service abroad at that time but I mind boggles as to which site to check up on, if there is one. Father was a labourer in an Iron works and not noted as 'skilled' so I'm ruling out employment. Any suggestions anyone ? Mary

Mary

Mary Report 13 Jun 2004 17:34

Definitely Turkey - the town of Kustendgee British S. Turkey is recorded on 1881 and Constantinople on 1901. Wish it was Torquay - make life a lot easier with this one. Mary

Mary

Mary Report 13 Jun 2004 17:45

I'll be putting the flags out if I can solve this one ! (and not for the football !) Hubby can do that all by himself ! Mary

Mary

Mary Report 13 Jun 2004 19:31

The only occupation I had recorded for him is Labourer in an Iron works in the 1881 census so maybe he was working there. I've tried looking at sites on Turkey, various wars etc. but come up with nothing so far but I'm not giving up. I found someone on Roots web who has a similar problem with his grandmother being born in Constantinople around the same time and have e mailed him for any suggestions he might have. Oh well, gives me something to do while the footballs on ! Mary

Unknown

Unknown Report 13 Jun 2004 21:47

Mary Where are they recorded as being born in Turkey - do you have their birth certs? If you haven't, and you're sure its not Turkey Street, Herts, then see my posting on India thread on records messageboard.

Mary

Mary Report 14 Jun 2004 09:52

Thanks Helen - made a note of that - might solve this yet. Mary