Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

advice sort

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

andy-r

andy-r Report 13 Jun 2004 01:20

Sorry if others have asked this question before but how do you find the fathers name of the bride if they are not named on the marriage certifficate.I've have found the marriage certificate on micro fiche at the local librery but it does not name the father of the birde or groom.The pair in question are my 3 times great grand parents who married in 1828 in Beds.I wouldbe greatful for any advice Andrew

Smiley

Smiley Report 13 Jun 2004 01:29

Hi, what year was this, was it a parish record you saw? I did not realise you could view actual certificates. Sam Oops...not reading properly, I see now you say it was 1828, that would be parish records then I think, what are your ancestors names? Let's see if we can help Sam

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 13 Jun 2004 07:19

Hi, If the marriage entry says both bride and groom were "of this parish" it's worth searching for their baptisms in the parish records. Gwynne

David

David Report 13 Jun 2004 08:38

Beds is very well covered in the IGI, so if they were both of this parish. or if an alternative parish is mentioned, then it should be possible to trace the parents from the IGI.

andy-r

andy-r Report 13 Jun 2004 23:16

Thanks for the advice. I have checked the IGI and have found 3 possibles for Elizabeth Wheatley.Unfortantely the records of baptisiums at the libary are unreadable from 1792 to 1810 so perhaps the record office might have a better copy. The people in question are Elizabeth Wheatley and William Warren from the parish of Old Warden Beds. Andrew

Geoff

Geoff Report 13 Jun 2004 23:32

No harm in trying, but I'd think the Records Office would hold the same as the library. I doubt that originals are open to public gaze but you may be lucky.

David

David Report 14 Jun 2004 07:33

If the microfilm of the PR is unreadable then you could always try the Bishops Transcripts which unfortunately do not seem complete for the period 1792-1810 the LDS has a microfilm copy, but Bedford Record Office probably has both PR and BT. It may just be a poor copy as there are entries for this period on the IGI so someone must have had a legible copy. The people at Bedford RO are very helpful - try giving them a call to see if they can advise you. I've checked the 1861 census for Old Warden, and can't find them as a couple, but there is a William Warren 59 ag lab born Biggleswade and his wife Ann 49 born Northill plus children John 13, Jane 9 and Louisa 5 all born Old Warden. From the IGI William Warren married Ann Layton in Old Warden on 26 Oct 1844 his father being Samuel. Could this have been a second marriage for William, his first wife Elizabeth having died - I can trace 4 children for William and Elizabeth, the last being born in 1841. The marriage entry in the PR would show if William was a widower, and if you could find that Elizabeth did indeed die 1841-44, then it's a fair bet that this is the right William, and his father's name is known, and his place of birth - you could also check the 1851 census for confirmation.

andy-r

andy-r Report 14 Jun 2004 20:52

Thanks for the advice.I will try the Bedford Record Office but it wont be for a little while. andrew