Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Sacking Weavers

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Greta

Greta Report 12 Jun 2004 12:38

Could anyone tell me if there are any records of weavers. I need more information about my GG Grandfather. Margaret

Unknown

Unknown Report 12 Jun 2004 14:55

What kind of information? when and where did your gt grandfather live?

Greta

Greta Report 12 Jun 2004 16:44

My GG Grandfather was born c1825 in Barton on Humber, he worked in the Hull area. Thank you Margaret

Geoff

Geoff Report 12 Jun 2004 18:57

I could probably find him on the 1841 census if you give a name.

Unknown

Unknown Report 12 Jun 2004 20:33

From Old Occupations A Weaver is the name of the operative of a loom which actually made cloth.

Geoff

Geoff Report 12 Jun 2004 21:00

Any port would be likely to use large numbers of Hessian sacks for transporting bulk cargoes from the port. Someone would have to make these sacks. Or were you asking about them being dismissed from their job?

Paul

Paul Report 12 Jun 2004 21:50

Anywhere where there were Jute Mills would also be a prime place for sacking weavers, Dundee for example. Paul

Greta

Greta Report 14 Jun 2004 09:48

Thank you everone for your replies. I would be greatful Geoff if you would check the 1841 census. Isaac Parkin c1825 Barton on Humber. I have not been able to find his birth anywhere, but he married in Sculcoats in1846. His fathers name was Thomas a weaver, and a witness was Elizabeth Parkin. By 1851 he was in Pontefract with his wife Mary Ann Stamp, and a four year old daughter born in Kingstone on Hull. I do hope you can find him. Margaret

Geoff

Geoff Report 14 Jun 2004 10:53

No real success, I'm afraid. I found the following in Barton on Humber (St Mary) 1841 Sarah Parkins 45 Nurse David Fisher 55 Rope maker Hannah 60 Edward Parkin 9

Greta

Greta Report 14 Jun 2004 12:33

Thank you very much for your search, Geoff. I think Isaac must have moved away from Barton by 1841, if infact he was there in the first place - he is a real enigma! Margaret