Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Confused - help needed please. UPDATE

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 10 Jun 2004 17:05

Can anybody please get their head around this - see below

Unknown

Unknown Report 10 Jun 2004 17:06

I have received a birth cert for my gt gt grandmother (name Anne Moore). It is correct as she shows on the 1881 with her parents and various other kids. On the 1881 her dad’s name is Edward Moore and his wife’s is Ann Moore (they married in June 1873 – Edward Moore and Ann Remnant), some kids and three other kids showing as sons/daurs with the surname of Remnant. I assumed that she had been married before and was widowed and then remarried Edward. On Anne’s birth cert, it gives her father’s name as Edward Moore (no probs there) but gives her mother’s name as:- “Ann Moore later Remnant formerly Edwards”. It definitely says later. I can find no record of an Ann Edwards marrying a Remnant. I can’t get my head around this – lol Help please – thanks Gaynor

Unknown

Unknown Report 10 Jun 2004 17:09

Gaynor Two things immediately spring to mind 1) Anne Edwards DID marry a Mr Remnant but for some reason you can't find the record (Remnant could be mistranscribed Tennant? ) or 2) Shock horror. Anne Edwards DIDN'T marry Mr Remnant but pretended she did, used his name and gave it to their children. or 3) Edwards wasn't her surname, it was written down wrongly using her father's christian name. ("What's your father's name" "Edward") I will think again and see what else I can come up with:-)

Unknown

Unknown Report 10 Jun 2004 17:13

Gaynor What does it say on Ann Remnant's marriage cert to Edward Moore - does it say she is widowed/divorced/single?

Unknown

Unknown Report 10 Jun 2004 17:16

Helen Thanks - how come I KNEW that you would be the first to reply :-))) Food for thought eh?? Gaynor

Geoff

Geoff Report 10 Jun 2004 17:16

There was a Christopher Remnant married in 1859 (about right?), Guildford district, but the FreeBMD page has not been fully transcribed.

Unknown

Unknown Report 10 Jun 2004 17:17

Helen Haven't ordered that yet !!! Looks like another £7.00 :-(( Gaynor

Unknown

Unknown Report 10 Jun 2004 17:21

Geoff I found that on Ancestry - it shows an Ann Fairley. And you are right about the year as the eldest Remnant child on the 1881 is 22 (making Ann 16!!!!) The name Fairley just confuses me even more. Gaynor

Geoff

Geoff Report 10 Jun 2004 17:26

Are you sure of her age - the 1881 gives her as 47, so she would be 25ish in 1859.

Unknown

Unknown Report 10 Jun 2004 17:36

Geoff Typo - should say 26 !!! Am thinking anyway that in 1881 - her age has been mistranscribed (or a porkie) as on 1891 she is 60 and widowed and on 1901 is 71 - making her about 50/51 in 1881.

Unknown

Unknown Report 10 Jun 2004 18:01

Ann Moore (Remnant) has been found on 1871 - listed as wife (age 32) of JAMES Remnant (age 33) - and William (13) and on 1881 as 22. Does this help?? Gaynor

Unknown

Unknown Report 10 Jun 2004 21:16

Gaynor Does this help? Not me, I'm now even more confused! Helen

Unknown

Unknown Report 10 Jun 2004 21:35

Gaynor There are quite a few deaths for James Remnants on FreeBMD - give me an idea of where he might have died - where was he in 1871 - and then I can see if I can find the right ref. Then you can pay £7 and find his death was registered by his widow who won't be your Ann and we can start again - tee hee!

Unknown

Unknown Report 11 Jun 2004 08:50

Helen On the 1871 James and Ann Remnant were living with 5 children (William 13, Rosa 10, Mary 8, Alice 5, and Harry 2) in Summers Lane, Farncombe, Godalming. I therefore think that James' death would have/should have been registered in Guildford, unless, due to some extraordinary illness, he died in a London hospital. Found nothing on FreeBMD or Ancestry so, decided to have a bash ast 1837 – lo and behold 2 things of interest. 1) An infant James Remnant’s death (0) was registered in Dec qtr 1871. 2) Then in Mar qtr 1872 there is James Remnants’ death age 33 (Guildford 2a 47) – the exact right age. Was the baby James his son and he couldn’t cope with the death? Or did they both get some nasty bug which wiped them both out? Don’t know yet. So, she did probably marry him!! One other thought – on birth cert it says “Name, surname and maiden surname of mother” – could the registrar have taken this literally? i.e. written “Name” = Ann Moore – “surname and maiden name of mother” = later Remnant formerly Edwards. Meaning she was nee Edwards and later became a Remnant. If it does – still can’t find any Ann Edwards !!!! Many thanks. Gaynor

Unknown

Unknown Report 11 Jun 2004 12:40

Thelma, Thank you soooooooo much - that has to be the right one - albeit children appear to have been born out of wedlock. Daur Mary, age 8, was born in Wonersh !!! Time to go investigating :-)))) Thanks again - Gaynor

Judith

Judith Report 11 Jun 2004 14:14

Gaynor, Are you sure it said "later" and not a twiddly bit on the end of "late" ? - my gg grandma was married twice and on birth certificate of son she is named as Harriet Thorowgood late Goodenough formerly Hobbis. Thorowgood is surname of second husband, Goodenough is surname of first husband and Hobbis is her maiden name. Judith

Unknown

Unknown Report 11 Jun 2004 14:42

Judith Thanks for that - has made me think of it from a different angle. It is a definite "r" - one of those pretty loopy ones - but with what you have said - maybe the registrar added the r by accident. He/she was extremely neat - perhaps he/she didn't want to make a mess of it. lol Gaynor