Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

2 helpful books

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Elizabeth A

Elizabeth A Report 10 Jun 2004 13:40

I have just been given 2 books. 1. First name variants 3rd edition by Alan Bardsley. "Primary aim of this book is to cover the 17 - 19 century usagewhen due to limited literacy,the written name adopted many forms. The book is a compilation of first name diminutives and variants and links together all thouse which have a relationship." 2. The family Historians Pocket handbook compiled by Stuart A Raymond. "The purpose of this book is to act as a ready reference source" I was surprised with the 1st book - on how many variants etc there were of Elizabeth (So many ways of spelling Elizabeth) - some obvious - some not so. IE:Ib, Ezit, Yesbell,Issa..... Liz

Jen

Jen Report 10 Jun 2004 13:52

Hi Liz Can i be cheeky and ask is there any other way of spelling Sarah/sara in your book.As i have hit a brick wall om my ggrandma. thanks Jenny

Elizabeth A

Elizabeth A Report 10 Jun 2004 14:02

Jenny Hope your ready for this!! Sadie, Saidee, Sall, Salla, Salley, Sally, Saly, Sar, Sara, Sarae, Saragh, Sarah, Saraha, Sarahan, Sarahann, Sarai, Saraid, Saram, Saran, Saranna, Sarar, Saray, Sarayh, Sarch, Sarena, Sarey, Sarh, Sarha, Sariah, Sarina, Sarinah, Sarita, Sarrah, Sary, Sarye, Sera, Serah, Sorcha, Srah, Zara, Zarita, Zora, Zuhra. Hope you have fun with this lot. Liz

Elizabeth A

Elizabeth A Report 10 Jun 2004 16:08

nudge Liz

Jen

Jen Report 10 Jun 2004 16:44

Wow,Thanks Liz names i hadnt even thought off.Off to try looking now. thanks again