Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Meaning of nephew on 1881

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Caz

Caz Report 9 Jun 2004 12:08

My g grandfather appears on the 1881 census with a couple where he is listed as 'nephew'. Would this mean that he was the nephew of the head of the household (the hubby) or would this also apply if he were the nephew of the wife. As my g grandfather was illegitimate, this could be a clue as to who his father was (presuming they were telling the truth on the census of course). Could it also indicate another relationship? Thanks Carole

Sue

Sue Report 9 Jun 2004 12:14

My own g grandfather was also listed as nephew. He was there for the 1871 census as a 10 yr old, and on the 1881 census as a 20 yr old. I searched for a marriage for the couple, and found that the wife's maiden name was the same as his (Myers). His parents and other siblings were next door. You might try scouting the nearby households via Mormon site...next household function on census result page. I've sent off for the couples' marriage cert. in the hope of more clues! Hope this helps. Sue (NZ)

Caz

Caz Report 9 Jun 2004 12:25

Thanks Sue Think the marriage certificate is the best option. Looking up the nearby families wouldn't help I don't think mainly because the name (Hoyle) is extremely common in the area and I have no other info for the moment except the name of his mother. Carole

N

N Report 9 Jun 2004 13:35

It could be either nephew of husband or wife. If the surname does not ring any bells yet, he could be son of the head's married sister, the wife's married sister etc.. However I'm not convinced that relationships were always recorded in the way we think of them today. I have - a will where the deceased names a nephew as an executor but I can't find a nephew with that name, but can find him as a cousin (not 1st cousin). a child listed as niece but I'm convinced she is granddaughter a child listed as nephew but has the same surname as head's mother's maiden name, which would make him a cousin.

Wendy

Wendy Report 9 Jun 2004 15:57

On the 1891 census the 'nephew' in my tree is not the nephew to either the husband or wife. I eventually unearthed that he was, in the strictest sense, the nephew of the wife's sister's husband. I think that's the right way to put it and he was illegitamate - no father's name on birth or marriage certificate. His mother was a widow at the time of his birth and had been for a couple of years. He was later 'adopted' by the people he was living with in 1891.

Wendy

Wendy Report 9 Jun 2004 15:58

On the 1891 census the 'nephew' in my tree is not the nephew to either the husband or wife. I eventually unearthed that he was, in the strictest sense, the nephew of the wife's sister's husband. I think that's the right way to put it and he was illegitamate - no father's name on birth or marriage certificate. His mother was a widow at the time of his birth and had been for a couple of years. He was later 'adopted' by the people he was living with in 1891.

Lynne

Lynne Report 9 Jun 2004 16:16

Hi all I am beginning to realise that people generally filled in whatever they wanted others to think about them on the census (eg, changing relationships, surnames, ages etc). They covered up loads of embarassing issues with no thought to those of us who would be using the data in the future. Doesn't it make it more interesting!! And ever so slightly frustrating. Lynne

Heather

Heather Report 9 Jun 2004 17:08

Hi Carole I had an earlier census where the person stated as nephew was actually the cousin of the householder, their mothers were sisters. Heather

Caz

Caz Report 9 Jun 2004 20:20

Thanks to all for helpful replies. I just have to suppose g granddad was related to his 'uncle' and 'aunt' in some way. Wendy, like yours, mine is nephew on the 1881, adopted son on the 1891, no father on marriage cert - haven't got the birth cert yet - but I don't suppose there will be one as he was illegitimate too.