Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How can I trace living relatives

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Nichola

Nichola Report 7 Jun 2004 17:59

I am trying to trace whether my greatgrandfathers brothers children had any family which may have family alive today. Sorry if I've confused anyone.

Seasons

Seasons Report 7 Jun 2004 19:01

You could try the LDS site if you know your ancestor's brothers names and see who they married and if they had children and try and work surnames of descendents. Otherwise I suppose the 1837 for free BDM site might give you possible clues. Good Luck

Nichola

Nichola Report 7 Jun 2004 19:20

Sorry, what is the LDS site. Have you got the address

Unknown

Unknown Report 7 Jun 2004 19:23

www.familysearch.org

Nichola

Nichola Report 7 Jun 2004 19:48

Ok. I've tried that one already but thanks

Lynne

Lynne Report 7 Jun 2004 21:02

Nichola You need to get as much info on your great grandfather's brother as you can and if you know anything about his children you can work forwards from there. I have found lots of records of my great grandfather's siblings by checking 1837 online records around the years they would have been 18 -24 years old for a marriage. I then looked for births with the correct surname and the mother's maiden name to find their children. Hope this helps. Lynne

Joy

Joy Report 7 Jun 2004 21:26

Two people are offering lookups on the electoral roll - Samantha in Colchester and Rachael Howells, I think. Joy

Carole

Carole Report 8 Jun 2004 13:49

You could also put a message on the "Trying to Find" board for your name - I did and have so far had contact from descendants of 2 of my grandfather's brothers. Put the names of his parents and some other details such as dates and place of birth - you never know who will read your message. It is a great thrill when someone contacts you and says "I think we are related". Good luck!