Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Where were my Grandads based in WW2?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Karen

Karen Report 7 Jun 2004 12:16

Watching the D Day celebrations yesterday I couldnt help but wonder if my Grandads took part in it. Sadly both my Grandads are now dead, and when they were alive they didnt talk much about the war and what they did - I suppose it was too sad a memory to hold onto. Is there anyway of finding out where they were based and what they did etc? I have just spoken to my Mum and she said that she has some diaries that my Grandad wrote while he was in the War that she is going to let me read, and we also have some medals of his, but I wondered if there was anyway of finding out what fights etc both of my Grandads took part in.

Stephen

Stephen Report 7 Jun 2004 12:27

Karen, first speak to any uncles etc who may have info. The Diaries will help as will looking at photos of them in uniform to see if he is wearing a capbadge. Check grans button box for military buttonsand badges. When you find the medals you should have two round ones (war & Defence medals) You may also have some stars. These may give you a clue where they served as the stars were theatre specific, Eg Burma star, france & germany, Unless one of them had a gallentry award WWII medals were not named. Medals for other wars before and since have the name of the soldier and his number/ unit engraved around the edge. If you find out what regiment he served with that can help bychecking the histories. Good luck, but most clues can still be found within the family.

Lynne

Lynne Report 7 Jun 2004 12:36

Hi all Interestingly enough, yesterday evening my Dad produced a load of old papers etc belonging to his parents. He had never mentioned them before even though he knew I was doing family research (doesn't it drive you mad!). From sifting through them we discovered that my Grandad had served on the Ulster Monarch during the war. From his Naval discharge book, we discovered that he was an officer on it when it played its part in the D-Day landings. My Dad had absolutely no idea previously what his father had done in the Navy. Its amazing what you can find from a handful of bits of paper and documents! Good luck all with your searches! Lynne

Karen

Karen Report 7 Jun 2004 13:03

Hi Stephen and Lynne Many thanks for your suggestions and replies. Unfortunately both of my parents are only children and one of my Grandads was an only child and my other Grandad has no siblings left alive. I remember my Grandads telling me so bits about where they were etc when I was at School and I wrote it in a school project so I will try and find that and also have a look at my Grandads medals and diaries which hopeful help me more. I remember one of my Grandads saying that he was in Cyprus for awhile, but thats all I can remember. Its a shame that I never asked questions when my Grandads were alive :-( I also remember my Dad reuniting his Dad with one of his friends that he was with in the war that he hadnt seen in over 40 years, but sadly he died a few years ago aswell I only wish I had listened to their stories as they remembered adventures etc they had shared together. Karen

Ian

Ian Report 7 Jun 2004 14:40

Karen Both your relatives service records will be held by the MOD but only released to next of kin. I understand that these records are controlled via MOD Historic Disclosures at Glasgow - Army Personnel Centre. Try a websearch for their contact details. But first ascertain (from medals or your own recollections) as to what service they were in Army/RAF/RN). Good hunting Ian

Unknown

Unknown Report 7 Jun 2004 14:59

Hi Karen - if one of your Grandads was in Cyprus during the war he could well have been based at a place called Akrotiri - I believe it may still be used as a base today :-0 good luck in your search she

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 7 Jun 2004 15:04

Have a look at www(.)bbc(.)co(.)uk/ww2 - don't forget to remove the brackets! I picked a mag up from the library this morning from the BBC which is all about tracing your family's WW2 history. If your library doesn't have it, then you should be able to get it from the website above. Maz. XX

Twinkle

Twinkle Report 7 Jun 2004 15:58

Do you know what regiments they were in? You may be able to narrow it down by working out where regiments were based rather than chasing down individuals.

Karen

Karen Report 7 Jun 2004 21:24

I've had a rummage around and found my school project. My mums Dad joined up in 1940 and for the 1st year he was working on an ammunition dump and the 2nd year he was on demolition in london. Then in November 1942 he went across to Algiers by boat and worked in the hospitals before travelling through North America, Tunisia, Sicily and Italy unloading transport ships, he did this for a year, then he went to Naples before coming back to England in May 1844 and being based in North Wales, Oxfordshire and Berkshire. My Dads Dad was a gunner in the 2nd royal artillery. I dont remember ever seeing medals for my Dads dad, but I know my Mums dad has medals which my brother now has, its also this Grandad who wrote the diaries which my Mum still has and shes going to lend them to me so I can read them. So it looks like neither of my Grandads were involved with D Day, but I am still very very very proud of what they did for their country and there isnt a day that goes past that I dont miss them. Karen