Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Question about Tribal Pages.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Naomi in SW

Naomi in SW Report 6 Jun 2004 21:16

Hi, I've got most of my tree uploaded onto Tribal Pages. I've just spent a large chunk of the afternoon and evening adding photo's to it. Does anyone know if I re-upload my tree from my home pc software, will I lose the pictures I've uploaded? Cheers, Naomi

Russell

Russell Report 6 Jun 2004 22:37

If you upload your GEDCOM, it replaces anything that was there previously re Names etc.. If the name and details are the same, it should keep the relevant photo connected to that name. I have reuploaded my GEDCOM on numerous occasions and the photos have remained attached. I hop this helps Russell

Jim

Jim Report 6 Jun 2004 22:45

Hello Naomi. From my own frustrating experience I have but one word of warning to add to what Russell said, that is:- If you have a person listed as (Example) FRED BLOGGS and you change his title to MR FRED BLOGGS or Fred Bloggs you will more than likely loose the connection, I believe the same goes for the use of upper and lower case letters. In other words, what you have named a photo or file now. must be used on the new one which means making a careful note etc. Take care and good luck Jim

Naomi in SW

Naomi in SW Report 7 Jun 2004 14:00

Thanks guys, That's put my mind to rest a bit! Naomi

Judy

Judy Report 7 Jun 2004 21:15

Something else to keep in mind....when including pictures, once you've created the "file path" you can't change the location of the picture on your computer or your pictures won't load to the site. (Example being you have your pictures on your desktop, add them to the file being uploaded to Tribal and then upload them to the site. If you update your gedcom at a later date and you've since moved the pictures you have posted, to say your MY DOCUMENTS file, you'll have to re-enter them as you've now changed the "file path.")