Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What is a "reputed" father in Scotland?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Patsy

Patsy Report 6 Jun 2004 00:16

On my husband's great-grandfather's death certificate, it staes he was illegitimate and the "reputed" father was Donald Mclean. Does reputed mean it was just a name the mother gave when she registered the birth? Or did he admit to being the father even though they weren't married? Help! Patsy

Unknown

Unknown Report 6 Jun 2004 00:19

I think reputed means that's the man everyone thinks was the father, but can't prove it.

Unknown

Unknown Report 6 Jun 2004 08:35

Hi Patsy Helen is right. I was born illegitimately and subsequently adopted - my birth father is not named on my birth certificate because he denied paternity and wasn't married to my birth mother. She was therefore not permitted legally to name him on my birth cert. However, he is named in my birth records and is referred to as the 'putative' father, which is the same as 'reputed' - the one who is thought to be the father. Best wishes, Mandy :)

Unknown

Unknown Report 6 Jun 2004 11:30

Hi Mandy "Putative" used to be used for adoptees in birth records even when the father acknowledged paternity and was recorded on the birth certificate if that makes you feel any better :) David

Bren from Oldham

Bren from Oldham Report 6 Jun 2004 18:38

IN 1835 when the first daughter of my Gt Grandparents was born the baptism entry said Ellen daughter of Lucy reputed father Jonathon they were both teenagers A few months later they ran away and got married So possibly Jonathon went to the baptism Bren

Unknown

Unknown Report 6 Jun 2004 18:46

Hi David Thanks for that, I didn't realise that a 'definite' father could still be 'putative'! Best wishes, Mandy :)

Patsy

Patsy Report 7 Jun 2004 02:57

Thanks everyone. Doesn't help with establishing who great-grandad's father really was, but at least I know what reputed means now! Patsy