Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

advice on antivirus!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

*****me*****

*****me***** Report 5 Jun 2004 18:59

HI! can anyone give me some advice? i have norton antivirus installed on my computer, in 4 weeks time it is due to expire, are there any GOOD free ones i can use? i also have Zone Alarm. i have norton since i got my computer last time,should i stick with and re-subscribe?or try another? will a free one check my emails for viruses? and scan for viruses? many thanks, chris.

badger

badger Report 5 Jun 2004 20:04

stick with what you have Chris,it,s tried and tested. Iv,e run both since setting up my puter and the two run happily side by side.Fred.

*****me*****

*****me***** Report 5 Jun 2004 20:15

thanks fred,i'll do that. chris.

BobClayton

BobClayton Report 5 Jun 2004 21:13

Many people believe that just because something is free then it can’t be any good. It isn’t necessarily so. Many professional AV companies give their home versions away as a means of free advertising. Those happy with the home versions might recommend the company to their employer. Of course we are all human and those who have paid for software are unwilling to accept that anything free can be as good, but that does not make them right. The greatest risk arises from unknown new viruses. By definition they need time to be recognised and blocked. Having looked on many of the sites they all seem to be on the ball. I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend the freebies, no AV software is 100%. Bob

BobClayton

BobClayton Report 5 Jun 2004 21:37

Nail on the head Joy. In fact Web User magazine rated zonealarm above Norton and McAfee this month, and it's free! Bob

*****me*****

*****me***** Report 5 Jun 2004 21:52

thanks everyone, i'll have a think about it. chris.

Bob

Bob Report 5 Jun 2004 22:01

Bob's quite right. I paid for Norton so it stands to reason that no other AV can possibly be as good, especially if it's free. At any rate Norton does what it says on the box and I have avoided trouble, despite being on broadband and my daughter using peer to per networks and staying connected 24/7. Seriously I kept Norton because I got the first year free, learned how it worked and couldn't be ar**d to learn another one. Bob