Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Has anyone any Ideas Please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Margaretfinch

Margaretfinch Report 31 May 2004 12:41

Hi I wonder if anyone has ideas what I could do next for 2years I have been looking for my g/grandfather, although I found him on the 1881 census and have bought his marriage certificate this is about all I can find on him. On the 1881 census it says he is 44 and was born in Haverhill Suffolk, I really do not know if this was his age or not because he married in 1871 in Haverhill and it quite clearly says he was 24 which makes the 1881 census 10 years out.I have looked for a birth cannot find one I have looked on all the census but cannot find him at all on any except the 1881 census, by the 1891 census he had died found his wife as a widow and confirmed he had died by getting his eldest daughters marriage certificate, and although he had died I can't find a death certificate for him.All I know is his fathers name was George that is going by his marriage certificate. The only George Poole with a son William born in Haverhill was born in 1831 this would make him much much older if it is the right one. If anyone reads this thankyou for your time and patience. Margaret

Irene

Irene Report 31 May 2004 13:03

Margaret I can't help but I hope to give you some idea's which may hopefully help. I had a similar problem with my husbands g grandfather, all I knew was his name Arthur Hinton, born in Ingatestone Essex from the 81 census. I couldn't find him on the 91 census and 1901 he was born London City. I could not even find a marraige for Arthur Hinton although I did find one for his wife Marion Harwood in Winchester 1874 to Arthur Wells, both Arthur's were the same age. I did think he may have gone awol from the army seeing as they were in London 81 under Hinton. After much hunting I did find Marion in the 91 census with her children and sister in law, Sophia was single and 50 born Leytonstone, so I then looked for her birth. It was Hinton and she was born Leyton, but no sign of Arthur. Well I now have the answers, Ebenezer Arthur Hinton born 47 in Finsbury, same parents and someone kindly found them in Bermondsey 61, he was missing 71 so I think he was then in the Army, I am sure its the right marriage as both fathers have the same first name and occupation. At least you have a fathers name something I didn't have. I will see if I can help. GC is great for this so hope someone in the district where he said he was born will look for you. In the meantime good luck Irene

Jim

Jim Report 31 May 2004 13:20

Oh Margaret. I do hate to see a damsel in distress so if you wish to e-mail me direct with the details of where you have searched already i.e. the IGI - National Burial Index - or any other sources, then I will see if I can help in any way. Smile again pleeease Jim

Irene

Irene Report 31 May 2004 13:40

Margaret Have you tried typing in Haverhill Suffolk in your search engine, there is a 1891 census you can ask for Poole and you get all the Poole in Haverhill. You may get lucky and find an earlier one. Irene

Margaretfinch

Margaretfinch Report 31 May 2004 14:03

Hi Irene and Jim, Irene I have looked on the Haverhill web site and also I have got a message on there, Also some kind person from Haverhill sent me births and as I said the only one that fits him is the one born in 1831 which would make him 16 years older that his marriage certificate says I have really tried to find out about him have been to the records office many times and looked at the census for 1841 -1881 there is one on the 1841 census which if he was born in 1831 could be him that is all.On the 1881 census they were then living in Edmonton Middlesex. And Jim I have sent you an email. Thank you both Best wishes Margaret

Kim

Kim Report 31 May 2004 14:17

I have a great grandfather who was 40 on the 1901 census and still 40 when he married 3 years later, so depending on what they got away with you could find a large discrepancy, especially if their wife was a lot younger. KIM

Irene

Irene Report 31 May 2004 15:34

Another thought, are you that they didn't move after ? William Poole was born, he could have been born in Haverhill, but lived in a neighbouring village. Looking on the 1891 there are a lot of Poole's. Irene

Margaretfinch

Margaretfinch Report 31 May 2004 15:46

Hi Irene, yes maybe he was not living in Haverhill between when he was born and the 1871 census, I will have to look at other places. thank you Margaret