Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

A couple of Ancestry UK Questions

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Russell

Russell Report 29 May 2004 16:00

Hello everyone, Has anybody used their new pay-per-view option? Apparantly you get 20 page views for £6 or $9.95, and credits last for 7 days. Is it worthwhile?............................................Is it cheaper to pay in $ on your credit card than in £???....................TiA Russell

Smiley

Smiley Report 29 May 2004 16:04

I am on an Ancestry trial at the moment Russell, my second one actually. The pay-per-view sound like a good idea doesn't it, but from my experience I could view 20 pages in one evening, so it could work out to be rather expensive. I find a lot depends on the rarity of the names you are researching, and also the mis-transcriptions. My elusive Bessants on the 1891 census turned out to be Bessells, but I plodded on until I had found them. I personally would not chose pay-per-view for those reasons, but I know it will obviously suit others. One man's meat.........and all that ;) Sam

Russell

Russell Report 29 May 2004 16:09

Thanks Sam, I had a free trial when I was starting my research and it wasn't much use then. I tried going for the second on the american version of the site, but it would not let me - it recognised my cc details and gave me the message that I had already had access to the UK records. Any tips?? Russell

Smiley

Smiley Report 29 May 2004 20:37

Hi Russell Ancestry say you can have one free trial per person OR per CC. I did my first one with my son's credit card, using all my details, name address etc... when I terminated that one I tried again after 3 weeks with my own CC, same details though, and got another trial no problem. I know of others who have done this. Just note down on your calender when your trial ends, and telephone or email to cancel at least 3 days prior. They didn't respond to my emails, but I got through on the 'phone no problem. Sam

Jane

Jane Report 30 May 2004 13:42

Russell, am answering your question- is it cheaper to pay in $ rather than pounds. i would recommend that you pay in pounds as most banks / credit card companies will charge you a fee to change currencies. I work for a foreign exchange company and come across this problem all of the time, so always stick to pounds !!!!! Jane

Russell

Russell Report 31 May 2004 18:49

Thankyou for the help Sammy and Jane