Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Abercarn

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sarah

Sarah Report 28 May 2004 13:20

Does anyone know any info on the Tabernacle Baptist Chapel in Newbridge, Abercarn? It is listed on my grandparent's marriage certificate along with my grnadmother's address at marriage as 'Tabernacle Cottage, Newbridge'. I found the chapel listed on the 1901 census, but not the cottage, and can find no other details about either address. Thanks Sarah

Brenda

Brenda Report 28 May 2004 15:15

hi sarah dont know if this is any use but is abercarn in monmouthshire. if so on the address search i put in ta** co** monmouth and came up with some brenda x

Brenda

Brenda Report 28 May 2004 18:29

just did a google search 'tabernacle cottage abercarn' bingo theres a good bit of reading there. brenda x

Mhairi

Mhairi Report 30 May 2004 01:02

Hi Sarah don't know if this is any use in your search but the spelling is Abercorn in Newbridge as half of my rellies were born there, Ritchies, Hutchison and a Hastie. Newbridge was only a tiny village in those days and there were a lot of smaller places that came under Newbridge..... Mhairi

Geoff

Geoff Report 31 May 2004 16:41

Mhairi I suspect the different spelling arises from the fact that your Newbridge is near Edinburgh and Sarah's is near Cardiff! (Just a guess, as the names you give all sound Scottish.)

Diane

Diane Report 31 May 2004 19:27

Hi Sarah, Newbridge is now in the area of Gwent, not far from Crumlin/Pontllanfraith and Blackwood. Try typing in the area you want, into the search box and see what comes up. It used to be in the MynyddIslwyn area a long time ago. What is the surname of your relatives? Best wishes from Diane.........

Jacqui

Jacqui Report 1 Jun 2004 08:33

Abercarn is a separate village to Newbridge, which is about 1.5 miles away. I was born in Abercarn, and went to Newbridge Grammar School. There will be a fair bit of info. on the internet about both places (just dont expect to find info if you put in both place names - they are separate places)- will contact my cousin who lives in Newbridge and ask her about Tabernacle Cottage - she will perhaps do a "recce" for you. Jacqui

Sarah

Sarah Report 1 Jun 2004 08:42

Diane - the relative I am looking for is my great-grandfather Ernest Ivor DAVIES, who I believed married someone called Clara (whole other issue there...the census has her down as 'Elma', I thought that was a peculiar name so looked at the image of the page....it's been mis-read and is actualy Clara! lol) and my grandmother, Violet May Davies - her address on her marriage certificate is Tabernacle Cottage. One of the witnesses to the marriage was a K E Davies, but so far I haven't been able to trace a family member with those initials...sigh! All I've managed to find on Tabernacle Cottage so far is some reference to poor houses in the area, but as my grandmother was 30 when she married I'm not sure if thats relevant. My great-grandfather had died by the time my grandmother married, but would a 30yr old woman with surviving relatives (my great-aunt is still alive today!!) and who was working as a nurse be living alone? The only other suggestion I could come up with is that the address she was living at was maybe connected to the hospital where she worked, like a nurse's home, but so far I've not found a connection here either. And in answer to the question I know will be asked...no I couldn't ask my great-aunt lol - it's not that I doubt her ability to remember, but she didn't get on with my grandmother and every scrap of info I've ever had from her has been either grossly exaggerated or completely fabricated! Whenever I have tried to pin her down to facts she goes all secretive, tells me its not her place to tell me anything....not sure if there really are skeletons in the cupboard here or she is just trying to make it sound more interesting! lol

Sarah

Sarah Report 1 Jun 2004 08:45

for jacqui - thank you thank you! Any information would be great :o)