Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Old Streets web site?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Mystified

Mystified Report 26 May 2004 15:52

Does anyone know a good site for finding 'old streets'. I am particularly looking for Blackburn c1861. Old maps UK is of no use in this case. Any more suggestions? Thanks

Unknown

Unknown Report 26 May 2004 16:01

Don't know of any online sites, but there should be a good selection of old maps in local libraries and records offices. I also know OS do old street map reproductions which are on sale at the FRC and on the OS website - don't know the webaddress but I think it can be accessed from the oldmaps website. Helen

Mystified

Mystified Report 27 May 2004 15:24

Thanks for that Helen. I am having difficulties finding the street I am after. Just have to persevere

Clitheroelass

Clitheroelass Report 27 May 2004 15:59

hi john what street are looking for in blackburn,i dont live far from there. tracy

Tracey

Tracey Report 27 May 2004 16:25

Hi John, You could try www(.) multimap(.)com Thats quite a good site. Tracey

Jacqui

Jacqui Report 27 May 2004 18:35

Have you tried www(.)cottontown(.)org? It says that they have 200 maps of the area on the web-site, but didnt investigate fully - apparently the earliest map they have of Blackburn is 1739 - I think if you use the advanced search with a street name, it will give you all the info. they have. Have a look - it might just be what you are looking for. Jacqui

Mystified

Mystified Report 28 May 2004 06:53

First thanks for all your replies. The street I am looking for is Frances Ann street. It just does not appear to have existed. I have looked at the 'Cotton town' site and that has Frances St. and that was suggested by someone else too. I am looking at the original 1861 census page and also previous pages and it is definetlly Frances Ann. Tracey, if you get chance perhaps you could look for me. The reason I ask is I found my gggrandad lodging there in 1861 but is wife is lodging with her parents in Bank top and I wondered how far away they were from each other.