Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

CAN ANYBODY PLEASE HELP ME??

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jill

Jill Report 25 May 2004 17:09

I'm trying to get the the bottom of where my husbands grandfather came from before he came to Lancashire. What I do know is that he (Alexander,William,(poss.Ian)Munro) was born somewhere in Scotland on the 9th April,1910, he had 2 sisters, one named Gladys and other was named Winifred (no idea of their DOB). At a young age he moved down to London (but which district?) with the rest of his family; he possibly married someone called Doris E (her surname?) or this could be his mother?Address- 2 Upland Villas, Launceston, Cornwall. He enlisted with the Royal Engineers in Eltham on the 29th April,1940. His father was probably Alexander, William,(poss.Ian?) as we have been told it's a passed down name and Mackenzie comes into the equation somewhere? One of the sisters was possibly married a Knight and one emigrated to Australia. If anyone has any advice or information that would be of any help I would be very,very grateful.

Abigail

Abigail Report 25 May 2004 19:49

You could try 1837online for the marriage and Scotland's People for his birth, if you could narrow it down then the birth certificate in Scotland should give you place, date, time, father, father occupation and mother and her maiden name and the date of their marriage. His death certificate could give you some more clues and you could try searching on his Engineers name as they may have their own website with some history or a pointer to find his army career record, for example in the navy you can go the the Register of Seamen and shipping. Good Luck Abigail

Chris

Chris Report 25 May 2004 20:18

Hi Jill, I've tracked my husband's Munros down to Keith in Banff Scotland so if you get that far maybe we have a connection. If you get the grandfather's birth cert it will tell you the parents. The name Alexander runs through our Munros too. We have a Robert Munro born 1850 Keith Scotland who had brothers James, Alexander, and John. Alexander had a son Alex in 1880 Edinburgh but don't know anymore than that. I'll be interested to know how you get on.

Jill

Jill Report 25 May 2004 20:38

Thanks for your help Wendy, much appreciated. Jill :)

Jill

Jill Report 25 May 2004 20:45

Hi Christine, I think I have a bit of a tall order to be honest cause we don't have any certificates what-so-ever to go from which is very frustrating, the only thing we do have is his army No. and we're still waiting to hear from that department , but hey who knows we could have a connection! Thanks for the encouragement Jill :)

Chris

Chris Report 25 May 2004 21:54

Hi Jill, I know there is probably only a faint possibility of a connection, but you at least know the birth date so it wouldn't cost you a lot to check on Scotspeople because of that and then you've got a starting point. So many people can help you after that - I got a lot of information from the records board when you get back pre 1901 so once you've found his parents I'm sure you'll get some help. I'm searching from New Zealand and have had help. Once I got back pre 1837 I ordered film from the Family Research Centre and have got back as far as 1766. Maybe you should put a message on the records board too.

Jill

Jill Report 25 May 2004 22:22

Hi Christine, Once again thanks for your help and advice, I'll go and look at Scotspeople etc and see if I can get any further. Kind regards Jill :)