Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

WAR MEMORIALS

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jacky

Jacky Report 25 May 2004 16:43

Can anybody tell me how to find out about war memorials - a friend told me she found it on the internet but cannot remember how or where. Thanks Jacky

Unknown

Unknown Report 25 May 2004 16:51

Jacky Not sure exactly what you want, but try typing "war memorials" into a search engine.

Jacky

Jacky Report 25 May 2004 17:16

Thanks Helen, I'll try that

Brenda

Brenda Report 25 May 2004 17:20

try the war graves commission site brenda x

Sand

Sand Report 25 May 2004 20:36

The War Graves Commission site is at www.cwgc.org.uk. It is a fab site. You enter in the name of your casualty or death and they give you details of where the death occurred, the person's rank and unit, and where their memorial is. If you are lucky, you even get a photo of the memorial, plus any inscription, and you can print this off. I found my great uncle on their, who died on HMS Hood aged 19--very moving.

Sandi

Sandi Report 25 May 2004 21:58

You could try this site. http://www.britishwargraves(.)org(.)uk/ SAndi

Jacky

Jacky Report 26 May 2004 09:29

Thanks everyone, I've now got a few things to try. Cheers

Ian

Ian Report 26 May 2004 11:38

Jacqueline, The Imprial War Museum has a database for war memorials in the UK. CWGC is not responsible for war memorials in UK, only war graves or battelfield memorials. Also try 'Friends of War Memorials' website: www.war-memorials.com Good luck Ian

Ian

Ian Report 26 May 2004 11:41

Jacky Try 'Friends of War Memorials' Website: www.war-memorials.com The Imperial War Museum has a database of UK war memorials. The CWGC is only responsible for war graves and battlefield memorials. Good luck Ian