Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

CAN SOMEONE HELP ME PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Patricia

Patricia Report 25 May 2004 16:03

Trying to find births and marriage of my G/ Grandparents. He was George James Francis who I believe came from Elland in Yorkshire, born around 1875. Married Martha Elizabeth Hill who came from either Wednesbury or Old Hill (Stafford). She was born around 1874 and died 1962 in hospital in Llanelly. I have a copy of her birth certificatebut it does not show a plase of birth. I have no idea when they moved to Wales,but they where there when my G/Father was born in 1907, until ther deaths. The only other information I have is that Martha,s father was a Farrier/Blacksmith,and George,s family had something to do with waterways/canals ie they had at least 1 barge. Any help would be much appreciated as I have a splitting headache from banging my head up against a brick wall!!!! Thanks in anticipation. Pat

Lynda ~

Lynda ~ Report 25 May 2004 16:12

Hi Patricia Is this the family in 1881. If not do you know the name of Martha's father? Thomas HILL Head M Male 35 West Bromwich, Stafford, England Blacksmith Sarah HILL Wife M Female 33 West Bromwich, Stafford, England Thomas HILL Son Male 13 West Bromwich, Stafford, England Scholar John HILL Son Male 11 West Bromwich, Stafford, England Scholar Martha HILL Daur Female 5 West Bromwich, Stafford, England Scholar George HILL Son Male 3 West Bromwich, Stafford, England Scholar Frederick HILL Son Male 1 West Bromwich, Stafford, England Frederick JAMES Lodger U Male 21 West Bromwich, Stafford, England Coal Miner -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Source Information: Dwelling Bustleholme Lane Census Place West Bromwich, Stafford, England Family History Library Film 1341683 Public Records Office Reference RG11 Piece / Folio 2850 / 99 Page Number 37 Lynda

Unknown

Unknown Report 25 May 2004 16:16

Have you looked on FreeBMD or familysearch yet?

Unknown

Unknown Report 25 May 2004 17:30

From free bmd Marriages Jun 1901 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Cooper Annie Maria W. Bromwich 6b 1425 Francis George W. Bromwich 6b 1425 Hill Martha W. Bromwich 6b 1425 Wilson George Edward W. Bromwich 6b 1425

Montmorency

Montmorency Report 25 May 2004 18:00

could that be Elsecar not Elland? Piecing together bits from FreeBMD and censuses, there was a George James Francis reg Jan-Mar 1876 Barnsley district, born in the Stubbin district of Elsecar (mistranscribed) Parents were both from Wednesbury and by 1881 the family was back in West Brom where father John was an ironworker (not unusual, much of the labour force at the Elsecar ironworks came from the West Brom area). Still there 1901. Can't see a barge anywhere in the picture though

Unknown

Unknown Report 25 May 2004 19:11

If the family that Lynda found is right this looks like it could be them in 1891, there is other Hill families on the same page Hill, Elizabeth 7 West Bromwich, Staffordshire Daughter West Bromwich Staffordshire Hill, Frederick 11 West Bromwich, Staffordshire Son West Bromwich Staffordshire Hill, Henertie 9 West Bromwich, Staffordshire Daughter West Bromwich Staffordshire Hill, Henry 1 West Bromwich, Staffordshire Son West Bromwich Staffordshire Hill, John 21 Wednesbury, Staffordshire Son West Bromwich Staffordshire Hill, Matha 15 West Bromwich, Staffordshire Daughter West Bromwich Staffordshire Hill, Sarah 43 Wednesbury, Staffordshire Wife West Bromwich Staffordshire Hill, Thomas 46 West Bromwich, Staffordshire Head West Bromwich Staffordshire Hill, William 4 West Bromwich, Staffordshire Son West Bromwich Staffordshire Hill, Thomas 24 West Bromwich, Staffordshire Head West Bromwich Staffordshire Hill, Jane 22 West Bromwich, Staffordshire Wife West Bromwich Staffordshire Hill, George S 5.12 West Bromwich, Staffordshire Son West Bromwich Staffordshire Hill, William 58 Bromsberrow, Gloucestershire Head West Bromwich Staffordshire Hill, Louisa 58 Bromsberrow, Gloucestershire Wife West Bromwich Staffordshire

Unknown

Unknown Report 25 May 2004 19:19

Looks like Martha was still with them in 1901, using the decoder found Thomas Hill, 60, Sarah, Martha, Henrietta, William and Henry together in a household in West Bromwich.

Patricia

Patricia Report 26 May 2004 08:36

Lynda/Helen/Jo and Robin, Thank you all so much for your pompt replies. I would like to know where I am going wrong, as the sites you are using, I am using and keep getting "no results found". I must be doing something wrong. I will work on the information you have given me and see what I can come up with. To Jo in Yarmouth, how do you gain access to the 1891 census. Again thank you all Pat

Unknown

Unknown Report 26 May 2004 09:11

Hi Pat, some times the smaller amount of info brings up more results on some of the sites. Well thats what I do and then work from there. I have paid for 3 months sub for ancestry to get the 1891 census, will be running out soon though:( I'm not actually from Yarmouth, I am from Yarm in the North East. Good luck, Jo

Patricia

Patricia Report 26 May 2004 19:01

Hi Jo Thank for your help, now able to fit a few more pieces to the jigsaw. Sorry to relocate you down south, hope the move was not to painful. Thanks again Pat