Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Where do I go from here?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lynda

Lynda Report 24 May 2004 21:06

I have managed to trace family tree for Robinson/Harris family back to 1840 when Grandmothers parents were born(am awaiting their birth certificates) If I want to go back further , is there any other internet sites I can use? thanks Lynda

Unknown

Unknown Report 24 May 2004 21:41

Lynda Up the wall? :-) Right, pre-1837 (to be precise pre-1st July 1837) civil registration did not exist. People were born, married and died, but didn't get certificates for it. So you need to search the parish registers. These are usually kept in the local records offices. To help, when you have got the birth certs you await, you can find the registration district which will give you some idea of geography. Then you can go to www(.)familysearch(.)com, the LDS site. This is free. You can get good use out of it by going to Hugh Wallis' IGI numbers site http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~hughwallis/IGIBatchNumbers/CountryEngland.htm, and follow simple instructions on screen. These will take you to the church records - check the dates to make sure you are covering the right period - and then you have options to enter the name you are interested in. The info on the LDS site is a useful pointer, but like all info, needs to be checked out, not always accurate! Please let me know if you need further help.

Lynda

Lynda Report 24 May 2004 21:50

Thanks for that Helen. Will come back to you if I need more info. I do appreciate it Lynda