Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Out of the blue my Oz sister asks me.....

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rosi

Rosi Report 23 May 2004 21:01

I had a note from my living in Oz sister today - she has been following the revelations of my researching our family tree with some interest and lots of encouragement. The email I received from her today follows - can anybody tell me where to start? "I recall this snippet of information in our family. You may have heard of it. Would be great if you could unearth some info. Mum talked about ie once with Grandma.I heard them when I was a little girl. It was Lalas mother.(I think) .Lala had a sister called either Zilpah or Bilhah ( more likely the former.) They were living in London ( I think ) The mother sent B or Z to the shops. B /Z was a teenager (I think). It was about 7 30. The girl never returned. Until she died the mother would go to the shops where B/Z dis appeared every evening at 7.30 . B /Z was never found." Can anyone suggest how I might try to trace this? Help! Please! Rosi

Gen

Gen Report 23 May 2004 22:04

Rosi have you got any idea of dates surnames and area Gen

Twinkle

Twinkle Report 23 May 2004 22:30

Perhaps the disappearance was covered by the local newspaper.

Rosi

Rosi Report 23 May 2004 23:51

What I know isn't a lot, but.. 'Lala' was Mary Ann Chapman, b @1846 in London. I have her marriage Certificate to my GGfather Sainthill Lindsey. Her father on the cert. is Thomas Chapman, a farmer. The marriage took place in 1872 in London ( St Mary Undershaft). It was her 2nd marriage, her first marriage, to Henry Parker took place in 1866 (he died) - her father's occupation on that cert. was a bookseller. I know she (Lala) had a sister named Sarah who together with her father Thomas emigrated to Canada in the late 1800's. That's about the sum of what I know- which is precious little! Rosi

Jane

Jane Report 24 May 2004 14:37

Rosi, I've had a tussle or two with family 'legend' ... it doesn't always work out to be just so. Reading between the lines, the story your sister was told, if she was young at the time, might have been carefully constructed so as not to upset a child - why oh why did the 'elders' do that! Ever the cynic ... if I were you, I would have a look at the Registers for a death record for Zilpah around about the period you think this 'disappearance' might have been. In my case, Gt Grandma being 'run over by a bus' translated factually as dying of TB and Gt Grandpa 'died of grief a year later' actually succumbed to peritonitis. Won't bore you with the other examples ... but there's quite a few! (Maybe my ancestors were just prolific liars!?) Do let us all know what happens next! Regs Jane

Rosi

Rosi Report 24 May 2004 21:20

Thanks to Jane, Kathryn, and Gen. My sister wasn't that young 14 ish -so story unlikely to be 'softened'. have had a quick peek in 1837 Online - but found nuffink. Maybe Lala refused to register the disappearance as a death? Maybe the missing sister just died of TB. I will look at the 1871 Census and see if there WAS a Zilpah or something similar - which may be encouraging- or not! Again thanks- and any other ideas/help welcome! Rosi

Marlene

Marlene Report 25 May 2004 09:04

Gidday Zilpah was used a christian or given name in my family and was not unusual around the Hunts, Beds & it appears all other areas -maybe Biblical -afraid my knowledge doesn't extend that far. Can you restrict the dates somewhat and look at the historical directories site? I recall someone telling me they had a field day collecting murder stories from that site for their local FHS. Have you tried putting ZILPAH into the Free BMD with no surname, all counties, 1837- 190? there are dozens! You might recognise a family name or place other than those you have mentioned -also try the IGI the same way. Just as an exercise try the deaths as well. Have you traced Lala's family - were there just 2 of them? You could check on the 1881 census similarly and see if anything comes up. Cheers & happy hunting Marlene

Rosi

Rosi Report 26 May 2004 11:07

Hallo Marlene - and many thanks. I will follow up your several suggestions - and will let you know if there is any further outcome! My Oz sister is hopefully visiting in July/August this year - it would be nice if I could come up with some substantiation of the 'story' or not. Thanks again, Rosi