Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

WHAT AM I DOING ?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Claire

Claire Report 23 May 2004 01:18

Please help i'm not very good at this, how do i know if anyone is related to me. i have no family around to ask for information

Trish Devon

Trish Devon Report 23 May 2004 01:24

Hi Claire, I would start with your birth certificate,it should give you the names of your parents,and the place where they lived at the time of your birth. Perhaps the next step,would be to get their birth certs,which would give the names of their parents,etc. Hope this helps. regards trish

Pat Kendrick

Pat Kendrick Report 23 May 2004 10:02

Hi I agree with Trish but also you could try a Free BMD search (around the year of your birth) for a marriage. Pat

Helen

Helen Report 23 May 2004 12:38

Hi Claire When I was new to this I found the GC resource centre (click under Features) very useful, also the links that you see there. Presumably you've searched for all the instances of your surname on GC (luckily not a common name!) and checked if any seem plausible. As someone mentioned you'll need your birth certificate or those of your parents (and marriage certificates) and since these are fairly recent events I don't think you'll find them on FreeBMD. You'll have to look at 1837online (you have to pay for this) and then send off for the certificates. Not always a cheap hobby this! When you get back to the 19th century it gets easier in some ways because there's so much more information available online (like censuses and FreeBMD) and sometimes for free. Hope this helps a bit.