Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Please help, indecipherable word

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Twinkle

Twinkle Report 22 May 2004 19:55

The occupation on a certificate I have is what looks like 'Hasrdresser, Journeyman'. The Journeyman bit is clear as a bell. It is definately an H, definately a dr and almost certainly a double s. It's the first half of the word that it really stumping me - it might even be two words, the writing is so tiny and smudged that the fourth letter might not really be a letter at all.

Caroline

Caroline Report 22 May 2004 20:07

What about hairdresser? I have several males described as hairdressers in the early 1800s. I suppose they just did hair and weren't barber surgeons. Caroline

Twinkle

Twinkle Report 22 May 2004 20:19

I hadn't thought of that. Could you be a journeyman hairdresser? I thought the third letter was s, c or x, but hairdresser would make sense because he did live in the town. Thanks.

Luciacw

Luciacw Report 22 May 2004 20:22

Hi Kathryn, You could try this website: http://rmhh(.)co(.)uk/occup/h(.)html I found it quite useful for occupations. Lucia

Caroline

Caroline Report 22 May 2004 20:25

Hi, I was only guessing, but I should think that as you can have apprentice hairdressers you can have journeymen like you would have (used to have) in building and carpentry?? Caroline

BobClayton

BobClayton Report 22 May 2004 20:38

Could it be habadasher ? a hat maker. Bob

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 22 May 2004 22:56

A haberdasher is someone who sells thread, materials and things for sewing - someone who makes hats is a milliner! Sorry Bob! ;-)) Maz. XX

Sandra

Sandra Report 23 May 2004 04:49

Hi Because my ggrandfather said his father was a hairdresser so when I found a family with several hairdressers and the same surname, I followed them through several censuses trying to tie them in with my family - no luck. I assumed that they were people who cut hair, and that may be the case, but in one census they were not listed as hairdressers but fibredressers so it seems there might be another meaning to that occupation. More like someone in the fabric industry who worked with fibres perhaps. Sandra

BobClayton

BobClayton Report 23 May 2004 09:37

Alright Maz you are right about the miliner but I am not wrong totally, apparently habadasher was also a term for a Hatter (seller not maker). see here http://www.webster-dictionary.org/definition/Haberdasher Bob

Twinkle

Twinkle Report 23 May 2004 12:40

Thanks for all your suggestions. This is the first time I have heard about this person (and even then he was dead) so I have no idea what sort of trade he was in. His daughter was a dressmaker but that doesn't prove anything as occupations for women were limited anyway.

Jan

Jan Report 23 May 2004 17:47

Possibly hedgedresser? Jan