Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

It's not just old records that have different name

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Seasons

Seasons Report 22 May 2004 18:23

At the library the other day I looked up on the fiche files the birth of a lad for him and then looked for his brother and sister's births too. He was astounded to find he'd got a middle name and that his sister Marie was registered as Susanna Jane and his brothers name was spelt differently too!!!! And that's the 1970's -

Helen

Helen Report 22 May 2004 20:27

Hi. My cousin iscalled Julie. As she was born in July,her dad registered her (while her mum was still in hospital) as Julye. Fortunately her mum was able to get it corrected - must have been a woman registrar. Don't let Dads do the registering alone! Helen

Sarah

Sarah Report 22 May 2004 21:03

Names change depending on what certificate they are registered on too - my Grandmother's birth was registered as Violet MAY Davies, but her death was registered with the middle name spelt MAI....all because during her lifetime that's how she preferred to spell it!!

Annie

Annie Report 22 May 2004 22:32

My (ex) husband insisted on registering our youngest with the middle name ALLAN because that was how his grandfather spelt it. I now have his grandad's Birth Marriage and Death certs and it's consistently spelt ALLEN - sigh!