Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

ROMAN CATHOLIC MARRIAGE

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Luciacw

Luciacw Report 22 May 2004 16:48

Hello, I managed the birth of my great great grandmother, Margaret MacLellan on Scotlandspeople. Her parents were Christina MacPherson and John McLellan and it states that they were married on January 24th 1846 at Knoydart Roman Catholic Chapel. I have checked Familysearch and Scotlandspeople, but I can't find their marriage. Can anyone help? thanks, Lucia

Lady on Lynchmere Common

Lady on Lynchmere Common Report 22 May 2004 22:24

Hi Lucia The registrar may have attended the marriage. They had to in england but I don't know if they also had to attend in scotland too. If the registrar did attend, the local registrar's office would hold the entry. You could try the register office for the district, they might be able to point you in the right direction. Deborah

Mary

Mary Report 23 May 2004 01:08

Hi Lucia, If Lady's advice doesn't give you a result, try the chapel (assuming it's still open). Look in the Scottish National Catholic Directory- would be in Scottish public libraries, maybe it's on-line as well, or a helpful librarian anywhere in the U.K. would help you find the address. It could be on-line, but I've not looked. Write to the 'Parish Priest'. asking if he could give you the info , giving every scrap of detail you have. Responses can vary, sometimes you need to follow up with a phonecall, & a small donation to Church funds usually eases the process- we pay for Registry office search time, don't we? If the chapel is closed, try the Diocesan office for the area, or the directory may tell you where the records are now kept. If I can offer any more help, e-mail me direct. Happy hunting, Mary

PennyDainty

PennyDainty Report 23 May 2004 02:07

Lucia, do you have a specific church name as Knoydart is quite a largish area (a peninsula). The area is predominately catholic so I would imagine there are several churches/chapels in the area.

Luciacw

Luciacw Report 23 May 2004 10:59

Hi Lady, thanks for your help, I will try that, Lucia

Luciacw

Luciacw Report 23 May 2004 11:13

Hi Mary, thanks for your help, I looked for information online but I couldn't find anything. I searched the national archives catalogue and found out that they have marriage registers for the catholic church in Knoydart. Lucia

Luciacw

Luciacw Report 23 May 2004 11:19

Hi Christine, I'm afraid I don't have a specific name, there isn't that much information on the certificate. Lucia