Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Baptismal Records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Seasons

Seasons Report 22 May 2004 01:35

What information would be in a christening or RC baptism parish register for 1901? On the birth certificate the mother's name says Andrews formerly Norman. Is that the norm for a married mother or someone who's changed their name to suit? Also on 1901 census says she was born in Ireland - wonder whether there might be a mention of whereabouts she came from. Clutching at straws here!!!!

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 22 May 2004 10:09

When a birth cert says formerly it is usually the maiden name I think. I don't know about catholic but baptismal records just give -date, Child's Christian name, parents' christian names, surname, abode, quality, trade or profesion of father nd by whom the ceremony was performed . Ann Glos

Unknown

Unknown Report 22 May 2004 11:01

I imagine if the birth cert says the mother was Andrews formerly Norman it means she is now called Andrews, but used to be called Norman. This could mean Norman is her maiden and Andrews her married name. Or she could have been married before to a Mr Norman and is now married to a Mr Andrews. Or that she just changed her surname because she felt like it. If she is old enough to be a mother in 1901 you should be able to find her (hopefully under surname Norman) on 1981 and 1881 censuses, which should give a clue to her birthplace. Helen

Seasons

Seasons Report 22 May 2004 13:43

Found them on the 1901 census but nothing for either in 1891 and in 1881 a probable for James Andrew (without the 's' in Oldham) and a very slight possible for an Annie Norman age 9 in London. Had hoped that if she was catholic then they might have put where she came from ie parish in Ireland in the records. Glad to hear that it's likely they were married - all I have to do now is find it. Thanks for your help.