Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Anyone from Derby ?Help

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

shropgirl

shropgirl Report 21 May 2004 21:44

Can anyone tell me.Around 1830 I have an ancestor from St Alkmund is this now or then a place, or was it aChurch.? Thanks, Joan

Unknown

Unknown Report 21 May 2004 21:47

Joan Type "St Alkmund" into a search engine and see the useful sites that come up - it is indeed a church in Derby. Helen.

shropgirl

shropgirl Report 21 May 2004 21:54

Thank you Helen was it also a place ? Joan

Unknown

Unknown Report 21 May 2004 22:03

I don't think there is a place called St Alkmund's, at least its not in my Great Britain atlas. www.streetmap.co.uk has some St Alkmund roads/streets, in Belper Derbyshire and in Shropshire. Helen

shropgirl

shropgirl Report 21 May 2004 22:33

Thanks Helen for looking Joan

Rosemary

Rosemary Report 22 May 2004 19:11

St Alkmunds was a Church but gave it's name to the district around it as far as I can make out from my family history. Hope this helps, Rosemary(Essex)

Sarah

Sarah Report 22 May 2004 21:13

Hi Joan I live in Derby - the St Alkmund's Church from 1830 no longer exists as a church (there is a ring road now called St Alkmund's Way!!!) but there is a new church which now has the name St Alkmund's (my mum and stepdad married there) If you go to this website http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/ and type st alkmund in the search thingy you can view a ton of photos, not only of the old church but of the surrounding area, and the new ring road. The following is an excerpt of the details for one of the old photos: "St. Alkmund's is supposed to have been originally founded early in the ninth century when St Alkmund's remains were bought here. Saint Alkmund was Born in 774 in northern England as a British prince; son of the Northumbrian king Alcred and became King of Northumbria after the murders of his father and brother Osred. Known for his charity to the poor and orphaned. Murdered by agents of the usurping king Eardwulf of Northumbria. There are only six churches in England dedicated to him. Joseph Wright of Derby (painter) was buried here. The Church was rebuilt in 1844 by H I Stevens at a cost of £7,700 and was demolished in 1967 in order to build the ring road now called St Alkmund's Way." Hope this helps, and if you need anything else from Derby let me know Sarah

shropgirl

shropgirl Report 22 May 2004 22:22

Thank you all so very much for your replies. I will go into that site Sarah and thank you for the History lesson, it was very interesting Thank you again.. Joan