Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Registrar's Handwriting and Occupation - Tut !!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 21 May 2004 17:30

Fathom this one out - any ideas? See below

Unknown

Unknown Report 21 May 2004 17:30

On the 1841 census - Thomas Edgington is an Ag Lab On the 1871 census – he is an Agr Lab On the 1881 census – he is an Agl Lab Ok – that’s fine – we know what all that means :-))) This is where it gets tricky due to the registrar’s writing So why oh why – on his son’s birth certificate – dated 1854, does it give his occupation as Husband…… - few squiggles after the word husband and it looks like one continuous word. mmmmmmmmmmmm Can’t make it out – any ideas???? And very definitely the right man all the way down the line. Gaynor

Unknown

Unknown Report 21 May 2004 17:33

Hallo again Gaynor Maybe we should have our own message board!!! I think the word could be husbandman, which several of my rellies were. This is just another, rather old term for a farm worker, particularly one who works with animals. I believe its where we get the word husband from. Helen

Unknown

Unknown Report 21 May 2004 17:45

Helen You are a superstar - and so knowledgeable. I had never heard of that before and both hubby and I have now had the magnifying glass out to have a good look now that you have given us a clue. Yes - it actually says husbandsman and hubby looked it up and all to do with farming - well done. In future - maybe I'll just email you direct lol :-)))) Gaynor - your turn

Unknown

Unknown Report 21 May 2004 18:08

Gaynor Your last message really did make me laugh out loud! Its amazing how much info - obstetrics, agriculture, meanings of names etc one picks up by way of tracing one's family tree isn't it? and you never know when it will come in useful. Helen (no queries pending for the moment)

Unknown

Unknown Report 21 May 2004 21:35

Barry Thanks for that. Not what I would think a Town Husband is for! Helen

Unknown

Unknown Report 21 May 2004 21:48

Hi Gaynor and Helen I'd heard of 'animal husbandry' before so now I know what it means! Thanks for that!

Barbara

Barbara Report 21 May 2004 22:11

Just to add into that, there is also Yeoman which means - A farmer who cultivates his own land, especially a member of a former class of small freeholders in England. You need a translator to understand all these terms!!

Unknown

Unknown Report 21 May 2004 22:20

I just like to think of myself as descended from a long line of serfs and peasants!

Unknown

Unknown Report 22 May 2004 11:02

Barry Many thanks for that - and Barbara and Mandy Helen - I'm with you - serfs and peasants is more my line!! Do you think my Thomas was trying to impress the future daughter-in-law???? :-))))) Gaynor