Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How do you find out if they had siblings?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kerry

Kerry Report 21 May 2004 13:13

I'm stuck! I have details about my grandparents, birth, marriage, occupation etc. But how do I find out if they had siblings?

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 21 May 2004 13:16

Kerry When were your Granparents born and where? Jeanette

Kerry

Kerry Report 21 May 2004 13:20

My grandmother Ethel Mary Sparkes was born in birmingham in 1921 her father was George but I'm still waiting for birth certificate to reveal her mother. My grandfather was John Hunt, b1914 and again I'm waiting for the birth certificate to reveal where and who his mother was, his father was Thomas, a farmer.

Paul

Paul Report 21 May 2004 13:35

You may have to go to your local library and have a look through the St Catherines Index for births. I think after 1911, the mothers maiden name was listed, which should make things easier for you. It might take a whole afternoon though, so bring sandwiches! P

Paul

Paul Report 21 May 2004 13:36

You may have to go to your local library and have a look through the St Catherines Index for births. I think after 1911, the mothers maiden name was listed, which should make things easier for you. It might take a whole afternoon though, so bring sandwiches! P

Paul

Paul Report 21 May 2004 13:37

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 21 May 2004 13:39

Hi Kerry There are 2 ways of going about this. The cheapest is to search the parish registers for the area your grandparents were born in. Of course this will only give you the names of siblings born in the same parish. Your great Grandparents could have moved and had children christened in other parishes. If you don't live near the appropriate records offices try putting a request on the records office board. The other way is to search the 1837 site for other Sparkes and Hunt children born within approx 10 years either side of your Grandparents and send for all the certs in the hope that they will have the same parents. This would obviously work out quite expensive especially with the Hunts I should think. Jeanette

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 21 May 2004 13:43

Oooh yes good thinking Paul!

Kerry

Kerry Report 21 May 2004 13:57

Thank you! Think a trip to Brum is in order then!

Kerry

Kerry Report 21 May 2004 14:01

Thank you! Think a trip to Brum is in order then!