Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help please -variants on a name

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jackie

Jackie Report 20 May 2004 23:50

I have the name Bray and Im in the process of searching some very early parish records -16th, 17th century. There are no Brays this far back but there is Pre, Pray, Prey, Grey, Gray for the same village. Does anyone know any good websites for old variants on names? Would love to know if these are possible ancestors or just different families. Many thanks, Jackie

Unknown

Unknown Report 21 May 2004 00:19

Jackie I don't think there is such a thing as a website of variants - any version of a name can be a variant and how you can tell if these alternatives are connected I don't know. It could be down to bad hearing, bad spelling, bad writing or all three. A long time ago hardly anyone wrote fluently -pre 1850ish all my rellies appear to be illiterate - so they would have no concept of how to spell and it would be down to the officials how they were recorded. My great-great grandmother is Meling in the parish baptisms, Maling on her wedding cert and Mealing in the census. Who is to say which is the "correct" version? You will have to work backwards making connections with parents and children. Its entirely possible your Brays moved into the village later. When did the Bray name first appear? Is it in the baptism records and if so, are the parents listed earlier as Pray etc.

Dave the Tyke

Dave the Tyke Report 21 May 2004 09:40

I'm lucky, so far I've only gone back to the mid 1800's but it seems that the further back we go the more skills we need, psycology, sociology geography and history. Latin and French would seem to be essential for earlier records. How about Brayton as a variant on Bretton? Sorry I cannot help more but good luck Dave

Jackie

Jackie Report 21 May 2004 11:17

Thanks for your thoughts folks. Wouln't mind, but it's in Devon. Today's dialect is often hard to understand - let alone in 1580 and the only people able to read or write were the clergy and landowners!!! Will try FFHS to see what variants they come up with. Could be interesting. Jackie

John

John Report 21 May 2004 18:44

My name is Shattock, its a Somerset name and in that county can be pronounced shattuck. Not far away in Devon the name (same spelling) tends to be pronounced shaddock, and is also often spelt how it is pronounced. I've had one family who had several children, each with a separate spelling of the same name in the parish records. There was a Shattock Shatoc Shaddock Shatuck and even a Shadox. So ..... Bray Prey Pray and Pre could all be variations of the same name. Grey would perhaps need more imagination or a hard of hearing vicar! John

Jackie

Jackie Report 21 May 2004 22:33

I've now found a Sprey!!! Speech impediment too!!! Only consolatation is that the Preys finshed when the Brays started. Robert Pray is in the mariage register. Three years later Robert Bray buried son William. Mother unfortunately at that time not important enough to be named in the register, so no help there. Jackie