Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

w w 1 w w 2 service records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jayne

Jayne Report 20 May 2004 22:44

can anyone please tell me how to find men who served in the first world war. All this is new to me i think my great great grandfather served in the war i would be most greatfull for any help given thanks. Iam also looking for my great grandfather who served in the second world war i would like to find out what regiment he served in if possible.

Christina

Christina Report 21 May 2004 06:01

You could try 1914-1918[.]net/ before you put in your address bar remove brackets, click on discussion forum and post a message on the soldiers forum, you will need to join the site but it's free. Some of the records are now on the Public Records Office site but I think its only up to H at the moment.

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 21 May 2004 20:55

Yes for service records online try:- www(.)documentsonline(.)pro(.)gov(.)uk/search remember to remove the brackets! I checked a couple of days ago and they had not yet completed F (they are putting them on in alphabetical order of surname), but they hope to be finished everything this year. It is called the Medal Rolls and lists each participant and their entitlement - from the standard 1914-1918 medal to the Victoria Cross I suppose! Maz. XX

Unknown

Unknown Report 21 May 2004 21:02

There's a useful book by Simon Fowler called Military Records for the Family Historian (I think that's the title) which you can get from your nearest library. There is a bit at the National Archives, Kew, but I don't think it is very easy to access. Various different army companie have their own websites with people who may be able to help. Helen