Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What can I do now?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Debbie

Debbie Report 20 May 2004 21:55

Hi After searching for over a year for my great grandmothers marriage certificate I recieved it this week. The husband is the real mystery. It says he was 21 in 1910 so born about 1889 and fathers name. And It also has the address of where he lived. But it is such a common name I cannot work out how to find his Birth Certificate. He is John Davis with a father called Mark and they married in Mile End Old town. I thought this would be easy as Mark I didnt think was a popular name in that time. I have searched Familysearch site and spent loads on 1837 trouble is there are so many John Davis born around London area and he might not have been born there. Also I have asked for look ups 1891 and 1901 and cant find a thing. What would be the best thing to do now. I cant make it to the Records office. and I cant afford to order all those certificate from 1837. Any suggestions on a postcard please. Thanks Debbie

Naomi in SW

Naomi in SW Report 20 May 2004 22:51

Hi Debbie, I've just had a look at the 1871 on Ancestry for John Davis aged between 2-4 in Mile End Old Town but there's nothing that matches and lots of John's and Marks. I'll keep on having a peek on there for you. Have you looked at the names of the witnesses? Could they be siblings? Sometimes it helps to try and go sideways. Naomi

Debbie

Debbie Report 20 May 2004 23:07

Hi Naomi Thanks for that, the witnesses have totaly different surnames. Edward Pratt and Margaret Jones. Which I dont think is a great help. Mark and John were both Tailors but then I suppose a lot of other people were as well. Thanks Debbie

Crista

Crista Report 20 May 2004 23:35

Debbie, Did John have a middle name? There is this Mark Davis on the 1901 census: Mark Davis 34 London Bishopsgate London Mile End Old Town Manager Of Dept House Furnisher He came from a family of tailors in 1881. Can't seem to find a John with him though. Crista

Debbie

Debbie Report 20 May 2004 23:57

Hi Crista Thanks for looking for me, John I dont think had a middle name as there wasnt one on the Marriage cetirficate. My Nan was born in 1911 and his name was Jack then. The Mark Davis you found was it on the 1881 or 1901 census I wasnt sure which one you meant. Thankyou Debbie

Crista

Crista Report 21 May 2004 00:23

Debbie, The info I listed was from 1901. What were the names of Jack's children? Any clues in there? I found some Marks (with an S) who where tailors but couldn't find any Johns with them. Crista

Debbie

Debbie Report 21 May 2004 00:30

Thanks Crista Well the only child I know of is my Nan. Jack and Beatrice Day married nov 1910 and they lived at 49 Walden Street, And in august 1911 my Nan was born but her address was Dante road with her Grandad and she lived with him till he died in 1921 beatrice lived with them too. So I dont know what happened to John Davis. My nan would never talk about him thats what got me interested in the tree. I have just found a Mark Davis age 14 living in 100 cannon street with father Hyam and they are tailors. Could be Hyam comes from Germany so that would be exciting. Thankyou Debbie

Crista

Crista Report 21 May 2004 00:37

Debbie, The Mark I listed was married to a Miriam Gouloper Levy in 1893. Crista

Debbie

Debbie Report 21 May 2004 00:51

Thanks for that Crista, I will write all names down and keep them for future references. Not sure who is who at the moment. Thankyou Debbie