Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Did You Know!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lesley

Lesley Report 19 May 2004 16:47

Not being very flush at the momment I decided to go to the local library to see what I could find out about Births Deaths and Mariages and they had the eqivalant of 1837 on line for free! You can look at them useing a micrfiche reader. Very handy when you don't have a lot of money.

Margaret

Margaret Report 19 May 2004 18:44

Which library was it Lesley?

Mystified

Mystified Report 20 May 2004 09:22

I have mentioned this many times before. Try the library or the reference section for these. Apparently,so I have been told, some libraries do not have them or the cost of getting to them is dearer than going on 1837. Some libraries only have certain years eg 1837 to say 1951 so worth asking before you go. Libraries do contain loads of info eg phone directories for the country and even trade directories and papers, but these do tend to be local. Godd luck, John

Marlene

Marlene Report 20 May 2004 10:24

Just to add to John's message - always ask if they have a card index of surnames or occupations you are seeking. Might seem obvious but can yield wonderful lttle gems! Do this if you are visiting or writing a letter! I had one library answer a letter I had written with info from a Will! And they often provided census details long before we had them online! Good luck Marlene in NZ

Helen

Helen Report 20 May 2004 10:30

Hi, not sure which library in Cumbria Lesley went to, but Barrow's reference library has all the b,m,d's, also has electoral rolls and census info. One good one is a cemetery record. If you know when someone died, you can find a grave reference off the microfiches. Take that reference to the cemetery office and they can find who else is in the grave - a bit ghoulish, but I've found a few new (or old) relatives this way. Also tells you where people were living when they died. The reference library doen't charge. Helen

Margaret

Margaret Report 20 May 2004 10:31

This is how we researched our ancestors before the Intenet and 1837online. Most main libraries and Counry Record Offices have the GRO indexes on microfiche. The date they finish at varies, some having more modern ones than others. They are in year order, by quarter and aphabetical order by name. And it's free

Anne

Anne Report 20 May 2004 13:36

The GRO index in Carlisle library goes up to 1999! It gives an excellent free morning's occupation when I want to get away from work! I keep reminding people on here about this facility but of course many people live too far away to make a journey cost effective. Fortunately I can cycle there, so entirely free and good for my health! Anne

Shelli4

Shelli4 Report 20 May 2004 15:03

our locla library holds nothing but our main library ( bus ride away) has the BMD's only till 1910 but still worth their weight in gold Shelli xx

N

N Report 20 May 2004 16:27

Check www.familia.org.uk It is a guide to genealogical resources held by public libraries.

Rosemary

Rosemary Report 20 May 2004 18:59

Many Family History Societies also have the BMD microfiches. Essex certainly does and they can be viewed in their room at the Essex Record Office at Wharf Road in Chelmsford. Some sessions are for members only but there are a couple of sessions a week for non members. Rosemary(Essex)