Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

District advice please - London :)

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 19 May 2004 07:10

Can anyone tell me if a child born in Islington/ Lower Holloway area is as likely to be registered in Pancras as Islington? Thanks David:)

Crista

Crista Report 19 May 2004 07:12

David, http://www.fhsc.org.uk/genuki/REG/lnd.htm It says Islington. Crista

Unknown

Unknown Report 19 May 2004 07:36

thanks Crista - not what I wanted to hear though! lol David:)

Foxyfeline

Foxyfeline Report 19 May 2004 09:21

David I too am looking for rellies in Islington, what a NIGHTMARE!!! Lisa xx

Unknown

Unknown Report 19 May 2004 12:21

Lisa is it one of the worst places 2 research or is it just my lot??!!

Foxyfeline

Foxyfeline Report 19 May 2004 13:33

It is difficult to research in Islington, especially before 1837. I have e-mailed the London Archives, who apparently have the parish records, but they didn't tell me anything about them, just that they were there. I don't know which area they lived, if indeed it was Islington. I have not had any luck finding my GGgrandmother's birth in 1828, although I have her marriage cert for 1851 in Islington. On every census she says she was born in Islington, but I think the London areas can be very confusing, and the bounderies are ambiguous. I have found ancestors that say they were born in a different place on every census. First Islington, then Hackney, then Stoke Newington, Shoreditch, etc etc. Also the same family have put things like Dalston, Kingsland etc for where they were born. I think after 1837 you can find them registered under either Islington or Hackney, but before, when you only have the parish registers, it is very confusing, and I think if I was ever to get to the London Archives, then it would take me forever to find them!!!!! Finchley is another area where a lot of my family are from, not quite so complicated, but just as awkward to find. I have read that Finchley records are kept at Hendon, but again, I have never managed to get there yet to find out! Lisa (pulling hair out trying to find London rellies!!) xx

Lynda ~

Lynda ~ Report 19 May 2004 15:05

David Islington is the next borough to Pancras but the difference between Lower Holloway and Panacras is a couple of miles, but how lower is Lower Holloway? I mean have you an address as it maybe a bit of Holloway that goes round the back of Islington, that is nearer St Pancras. I don't think I've made sense there, but if you give me the address I will tell you how near it was/is. I was born in Islington and know the areas around very well. Lynda

Unknown

Unknown Report 19 May 2004 17:35

Lisa I'm having the same thing where people are giving their birthplaces as Clerkenwell/ Holborn St Pancras/ Bethnal Green and Islington or London lol. But I've also got one who gives Cork in 1871 and London in 1881! Bless them. But the bulk seem to have been around Islington - because of problems finding some of mine on the GRO index I haven't begun the joys of pre 1837 Islington yet :) Lynda Thanks for the email - I'll explain a bit. William and Mary Adams living in Blundell Street Islington in 1871 with 4 children - Mary 10, Elizabeth 8, Daniel 5 and Michael 6 weeks places of birth London (sks looked this up for me). In 1881 they (and other children) are at Maude Terrace Brandon Road (which I've found off the Caledonian Road on A to Z)and ages fairly consistent (and again for 1901). I want to find Mary's maiden name (to get the marriage certificate) so searched for birth registration of Daniel from 1864-67, and Michael and the next brother James from Mar 1870-Mar 1874 and for the next two John and Julia from Mar 1875-Sep 1878. And none of them come up!! There aren't even any Daniels or Michaels in London in the right period. But I have found a Julia in Pancras in Sep 1878 which might fit and a John in Pancras for Mar 1877 which also is possible (both a little young). But the children always seem to give their place of birth as Islington. Anyway I've sent off for the John (which is the one I really want anyway). Lower Holloway comes up because many were later around Eden Grove and I'm clutching at straws. Does any of this make sense because I can no longer see the wood etc lol David

Lynda ~

Lynda ~ Report 19 May 2004 17:55

Hi David I come from Caledonian Road, so know exactly where you mean, my Grandfather even lived in Brandon Road in the late 1800's. Eden Grove although called Lower Holloway, I would class it as Islington, from there you are only about 2 miles from St Pancras, it's one stop on the tube. If you would like me to look up anything for you, email me with names & ages. I have the 1851/61/71 census's for London and also have Ancestry. Hope this helps Lynda

Foxyfeline

Foxyfeline Report 19 May 2004 18:03

Lynda Likewise, thanks so much for the e-mail. My mum used to live/work on the Caledonian road! Lisa xx

Unknown

Unknown Report 19 May 2004 18:08

Lynda that does clear things up a bit geography wise. You have tried some of my Adamses for me on the earlier censuses but alas they're not name indexed yet and because of the missing registrations I can't get addresses lol - but I've just seen someone's posting about looking for male and female in the index so I'll try that and maybe come back to you! Thanks :) David