Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help Please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kelly

Kelly Report 18 May 2004 19:41

Hi everyone im new to this and dont know what to do now. I have just obtained a birth certificate for my grandma. On it are listed the details of her parents ie place of residence full names etc. I would like to find out about other children that they had whilst married and what became of them. I know my grandma was part of a large family but no one really know's how large. Where do i go from here and how. Can you recommend some good search websites i can look at. The marriage of my Great Grandparents i would estimate would be some time around 1926? Any suggestions would be gratefully recieved by this inexperienced novice. Thanks in advance for all your help. Kelly

Claire in Lincs

Claire in Lincs Report 18 May 2004 20:01

Hi Kell On the birth certificate it will give your great grandmothers maiden name, If you put this ,and your great grandand's name too, on the board .someone might be able to find them for you on the 1901 census, If this is succesful,,you could have the names of your g-g- grandparents,hopefully,! Give it a try,

Heather

Heather Report 18 May 2004 20:05

Hi Kelly If you still live in the area where your grandparents lived you might find information in a local town library, films of parish records for example. Otherwise, I think you'll probably need to search the index on the 1837 site, the births at that time give the mothers maiden name too. Heather

Kelly

Kelly Report 18 May 2004 20:21

Hi all. Thanks for your help so far. I didnt think they would be listed on the 1901 census. However im wrong have just checked and have found an entery under the name of Parker Daveney which shows him aged 2. Fingers crossed this is the correct entry. If so he was 31 by the time my Grandma was born i will let you know. Kelly

Heather

Heather Report 18 May 2004 20:52

Hi Kelly On the same page and so possibly the same family as Parker were Ethel 14, George 22, Charles 6,Benjamin 16, Frederick 44, Harriet 10, Sarah 45 and Thomas 18. Heather

Kelly

Kelly Report 18 May 2004 21:13

Hi heather I never thought of that. Is it possible they could be? This is a learning curve for me so finding things out as i go at the mo. Will print it out and have a closer look. Thanks once again Kelly

Judith

Judith Report 18 May 2004 21:17

With the names of your Gt grandparents you could search the GRO index for their marriage and also for likely births of your grandmother's siblings, as after 1911 the mothers maiden name is shown in the birth index. If you can't get to the family record centre in London afraid it will have to be 1837online, which is pay for view (£5 allows you to view 55 pages) as the free indexes don't have much coverage after about 1905 as yet. Good hunting Judith

Kelly

Kelly Report 19 May 2004 18:59

Hi Judith. Thanks i was just wondering where to go next. I will have a look and see what i can turn up. Thanks for the advice no doubt everyone will be seeing more posts from me very soon. As no doubt i will encounter more obstacles as i go. Kelly

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 19 May 2004 19:23

Kelly if you check out the 1881 census on family search you will find Sarah,Frederick and their children living at 32 Melrose Street Ovenden York.

Kelly

Kelly Report 19 May 2004 19:59

Hi Janet Thanks for your reply. I hve just checked and your quiet right there on there. They must have moved to Boothtown later in life. It also lists 3 more children who dont show on the 1901 cencus. Probably because they were living elsewhere. That so far makes a total of 9 children!! Thanks for the tip i will keep searchng. nce again thanks for your help Kelly

Kelly

Kelly Report 20 May 2004 19:42

Me again. Question now i have found all these offspring where do i go from here? In terms of finding out marriages, deaths etc it wuld seem that there is quite a history in my family of dying young. So there is every chance quite a number of these children didnt make it to adulthood. Not sure how to go about or what to go about next any help would be appreciated. Once again thanks everyone. Kelly x

Christine2

Christine2 Report 20 May 2004 21:23

Hi Kelly - I'm no expert myself but when I found myself in a similar position, I put the siblings on my tree in GC then looked through the lists to see if anyone else had people with the same details. I then e-mailed them to see if there was a connection and I found 5 people with the same rellies as me. Worth a try - Cheers Chris

Kelly

Kelly Report 21 May 2004 21:16

Thanks Chris. have just contacted a poss living rellie!! Exciting or what so hopefully they can help me. Im wondering though can anyone tell me where i ca get access to the 1891 cencus without having to pay out serious amounts of cash. It would help me to find out who survied and who i should b looking for marriages for i hope. Thanks once again Kelly

Debbie

Debbie Report 21 May 2004 21:47

Hi Kelly On Freebmd there is one Parker Daveney born 1898 vol no 9a page 499 born in Halifax. Hope this helps. Debbie

Kelly

Kelly Report 22 May 2004 09:11

Hi Debbie Thanks for looking that helps quite a lot. Thanks again. Kelly