Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

HELP THE NEWBIES

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Pat Kendrick

Pat Kendrick Report 17 May 2004 19:19

With so many newbies and others who have never visited a local history center could you wonderful experienced "oldies" give a blow by blow account on what to do or ask for. THANK YOU SO MUCH Pat

Unknown

Unknown Report 17 May 2004 21:07

Good question ..... I would love to know as well !! Elaine :-)

Gen

Gen Report 17 May 2004 21:23

The first thing to do is to have a good idea of who and what you are looking for, on the LDS site you can find lists of the records held and for what areas, it will tell you there also whether they have to be ordered in. It is worth giving the History centre a ring to check whether the particular documents you wish to view are actually in the building. Take a packed lunch and plenty to drink. The staff at the centre will not search for you but in my experience of the centre in Exhibition Road South Kensington they are really nice people, very helpful and will point you in the right direction. The best tips I personally could give- be clear what you want to research, take a pad of paper and plenty of sharp pencils, and if you are blind as a bat like me remember your glasses, I spent a very frustrating day in the FHC and again at the FRO because I could not see a thing, you would have thought I would have learned the first time, also check which days they stay open later because you might be just getting to the good bits and the place needs to close. Gen

Pat Kendrick

Pat Kendrick Report 18 May 2004 08:33

Gen Thank you very much for that valuable advice (esp the glasses). It will save a lot of wasted time re pads pencils etc. Pat

Pat Kendrick

Pat Kendrick Report 19 May 2004 08:59

Jan That is brilliant. Thank you so much. Pat

Pat Kendrick

Pat Kendrick Report 19 May 2004 11:52

Hi Donna A very good tip. How embarrassing for you though. Pat

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 19 May 2004 14:56

Always keep a record of exactly what you have searched - ie marriage of X to Y, searched all quarters 1852-1890 at ABC record office. Otherwise you can end up looking for the same thing in the same place more than once! Maz. XX