Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Was the registrar daft, or am I?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Twinkle

Twinkle Report 17 May 2004 18:59

The marriage certificate I received today gave the groom's age as 45 1/2 and the bride's as 'nearly 34'. There are { } all over the place and everything had to fit on one line, even if he had to smudge the words to fit it in! The only clear part was his name - yes, William the Registrar, I'm talking about you!

Unknown

Unknown Report 17 May 2004 20:19

I'm intrigued to know when this was - surely not recently? Bearing in mind that this is a legal document, it does sound as if the registrar had been out on the tiles the night before LOL

Twinkle

Twinkle Report 18 May 2004 20:48

This was in 1867 - but it was 3 days before Christmas so maybe he'd started on the mulled wine early! Honestly, it's a nightmare to read, I can't make out some words at all even with my (admittedly puny) magnifying glass.

Unknown

Unknown Report 18 May 2004 22:18

Kathryn Maybe the registrar was daft and you can barely decipher the certificate - but at least you've got the certificate! :-)

Unknown

Unknown Report 18 May 2004 23:41

Joy That's useful to know. Most of the certs I've got that have been faint (or badly written) I've known what they're supposed to say, or managed to work out after discussion. I think they should all be filled out using block capitals!

DottyAnn

DottyAnn Report 18 May 2004 23:48

I sent for a birth cert for my Great Grandmother's sister, the only child registered (1838) just so I could find out her Mother's maiden name, just received it and guess what?? The only name I can't read is....!!! It looks like T or F or J IM BS. Is this name familiar to anyone from Bucks?? Ann

DottyAnn

DottyAnn Report 19 May 2004 17:34

Thanks Joy, but I actually phoned Bucks Reg office to ask them to check the original image and they thought it looked like TIMBS, however, there is another capital T on the cert and it's written differently! I thought maybe it was Simms but someone had a lisp!!!!! Well, stranger things have happened! Someone also suggested Tombs, but it's anybody's guess! Ann