Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Local Newspaper - Photos

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ann

Ann Report 17 May 2004 13:03

My local newspaper, the Aberdeenshire Press and Journal, publishes an old photo everyday. These are sent in by readers and are typically of school groups, scout troops or other clubs. Occasionally they will be of workplace groups. For instance, todays is "The creww of the steam drifter Mary Herd at Great Yarmouth in the early 1950s". Most photos were taken somewhere between 1900 and 1950. See Below

Ann

Ann Report 17 May 2004 13:05

The Press and Journal (P&J) can be contacted on: Past Times, Picture Desk, The Press and Journal, Lang Stracht, Aberdeen AB15 6DF I know that they usually sell copies of recent photos in the paper. They may sell copies of these older ones. If you knew that a relative was a child in a village in Aberdeenshire in the first half of the century it might be worth asking to see if the local school had featured in a photo.

Ann

Ann Report 17 May 2004 13:06

Do any other local papers publish similar photos ??

Helen

Helen Report 17 May 2004 13:15

Hi Ann. My local paper, the North West Evening Mail, publishes similar photos. A couple of months ago it featured a photo of a group of miners, which was due to be sold in an auction that weekend. There wasn't anything special about the photo for our family - except the photographer. It turned out to be my Dad's great-uncle, who must have took photos as a hobby. This was in the 1890's. Helen