Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Gedcom to GC

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Penny

Penny Report 16 May 2004 20:26

Is it possible to inport a gedcom file to GC with the 'living' people's details ommited. I erased my GC tree a few weeks back ready to import a file but too late realised it contained many living relatives (for whom I havnt got consent). My tree currently has a marker on it for living and desceased relatives. Any thoughts or is a long slog to input all manually? Thanks in advance Penny

Margaret

Margaret Report 16 May 2004 20:39

Pen Export your gedcom to a file on your desktop on your PC. Then go through it and delete any living people. Then you can upload the amended file into GC. That's the way I did mine. Margaret

Penny

Penny Report 16 May 2004 20:43

Thank you Margaret, I will have to get hubby to help but at least I know it can be done. Regards Penny

Tj

Tj Report 17 May 2004 23:57

Hi Penny, I use Family Tree Maker which has a 'Privatize" option which will block out information on any indivual born after about 1920 or so. (You can set the year to whatever you want.) On the toolbar, in the drop-down menu under FILE, way at the bottom of the list is the Privatize option. There are also shareware programs one can get that will do the same thing for you. Best of luck, TJ Bren