Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help With Family tree Maker Programme

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Michele

Michele Report 16 May 2004 17:22

Hi all, can anyone help with my problem with the Family Tree Maker programme? When I try to export a genealogy report I'd like it to be exported as seen on the screen, in the past I had no problems with this but now when I try and are given the options of exporting the report I can only export in acrobat or plain text. Wordpad shows as a blank screen on the exported report and the spreadsheet option dosen't work at all. I'm sure I used to export as word processor (RTF) before to give me the report the same as on screen. I'm using version 11. Hope this makes sense and someone can please help me with this, I must be going wrong somewhere and it's driving me mad. Many Thanks Michele

Henry

Henry Report 16 May 2004 18:59

Hi Michele Don't know whether this will help, I use Version 7 of Family Tree maker. after clicking on the Export Genealogy tab another window opens, in the 'Save in' box make sure the ' My Documents' tab is showing. In File name, give your file a name, in the ' Save as Type' box make sure 'Formatted Text (*.rtf) is showing, then click save. This works for me and can be opened in Word and can also be attached to Emails as well. Hope this is of some help Henry

Michele

Michele Report 16 May 2004 21:00

Hi Henry Thanks for your help, i've just tried your suggestion but I ended up saving the entire programme rather than just the descendants of report, I suppose the way you mentioned is another way I can export info to my contacts. I'm sure I must be doing something wrong somewhere along the line Thanks for your help Michele

Henry

Henry Report 17 May 2004 09:00

Hi Michele Sorry my last suggestion was not much use, try this one, after selecting the person who you want to start your report and then opening the Genealogy report click on the 'Contents tab at the top of the page, then from the drop down menu click on ' # of Generations to show' and alter the number, this should limit the size a bit. If this fails then I'd better look at the manual !! Best Wishes Henry

Deborah

Deborah Report 17 May 2004 09:25

Hi Michele, I use an older version of FTM too, but can only echo what Henry has already said. With the report still on the screen - from file click on export genealogy report. Type the name in the box - make sure it ends in .rtf then click save. Have you recently upgraded to v11? As you had no probs before, maybe it's a different process in v11. Debbie

Michele

Michele Report 17 May 2004 13:14

Hi Henry & Deborah, i've only used version 11, so the problem must be with me, i'm wondering if i've altered the settings somewhere without realising. Thank You to you both for your suggestions will give them a try. Michele