Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Can anyone help me find a marrige in Lancashire ?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Melvyn

Melvyn Report 16 May 2004 17:22

Can anyone help me find a marrige in Lancashire? I have been looking for two years and it is send me up the wall It is between Henry Chippendale and Mary Ann Martin. It is Possable that they got married in the Cabus of Lancashire which i think is near Preston in and around the year 1853 but i am only guessing on that because that is there oldest known child. I hope some one can help. Kind Regards Melvyn

Melvyn

Melvyn Report 16 May 2004 18:31

Thank you for trying. I think that they may not of registared there marriage

Melvyn

Melvyn Report 16 May 2004 18:31

Thank you for trying. I think that they may not of registared there marriage

Geoff

Geoff Report 16 May 2004 18:40

I found this Marriages Mar 1851 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Campbell Elizabeth Blackburn 21 20 Chippinadale Henry Blackburn 21 20 Dewhurst Catherine Blackburn 21 20 Entwisle Mary Ann Blackburn 21 20 Forrest Mary Blackburn 21 20 Lonsdale James Blackburn 21 20 Pickup Ellen Blackburn 21 20 Riley John Blackburn 21 20 The page is odd anyway as it contains 3 men and 5 women, which I believe is incorrect. If you look closely, you may spot that Henry's surname is not as you would wish and you may choose to reject it for that reason alone. I know some people would.

Unknown

Unknown Report 16 May 2004 18:41

Melvyn How frustrating! Have you tried contacting the local history society (local to that part of Lancs I mean) as they often have indexes of marriages in the area or may know of another source. I tracked down a marriage in Bucks by finding a lady who has an index for the county. Three's a useful booklet Marriage & Census Indexes for family historians by Jeremy Gibson & Elizabeth Hampson, pub. by the Federation of Family History Societies. 8th ed. 2000 cost me £3.50 and its been invaluable. If you let me know which part of Lancs marriage/census you're interested in I can tell you where someone might have details. Helen.

Melvyn

Melvyn Report 16 May 2004 18:50

Thank you all for your help. Helen the area i think they would have got married is Cabus/Garstang. Geoff i thought that if that is the marriage the woman name would be on the registar as well

Geoff

Geoff Report 16 May 2004 19:37

Melvyn - I agree, but as I said I would have thought there should only be 4 women on the page.

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 16 May 2004 19:47

hi melvyn HENRY CHIPPINDALE MARRIAGE 1851 1st QUARTER JAN/FEB/MAR. could match him up with mary ann martin on same quarter 1851,i have looked through 12 pages on 1837 online. the spelling may be slightly wrong but depends on how literate they weremaybe they spelt the surname as they thought it should be spelt. sue

Melvyn

Melvyn Report 16 May 2004 19:53

thank you very much susan i hope it is the right one i am off to have a look now.

Anne

Anne Report 19 May 2004 10:32

hi there, did you know that years ago lancashire was liverpool and manchester and other area,s maybe they were married in liverpool, or manchester.anne