Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What year was .....

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Melvyn

Melvyn Report 16 May 2004 17:16

What year was the first Lancashire census ? Kind regards Melvyn

Geoff

Geoff Report 16 May 2004 17:18

Melvyn

Melvyn Report 16 May 2004 17:23

are these available to see to the public?

Geoff

Geoff Report 16 May 2004 18:11

I believe before 1841 the censuses were more of a "head count" and only showed heads of household rather than names of family members.

Unknown

Unknown Report 16 May 2004 18:22

Melvyn The 1st census in the UK was 1801, but the first to systematically record people's names and personal details was in 1841. This type of census has been taken every 10 years ever since, apart from 1941 (there was a war on). I think pre-1841 censuses have been destroyed. Post-1841 census returns are available to search on microfilm at the Family Record Centre in Islington and local record offices. Additionally, the 1881 census is available online at www.familysearch.org free, but it is a transcription - you don't see the original entries. The 1891 census (with transcript & original images) is available on subscription to Ancestry.co.uk. 1901 census is available online at www.census.pro.gov.uk The basic search is free but you have to pay to see more details - minimum charge is £5. Hope this answers your query. Please ask if you need further info. Happy hunting Helen

Melvyn

Melvyn Report 16 May 2004 18:28

Thank you to both of you. Helen you say i can view the Census at local Studies Centre's. So couuld i view the Lancashire census in the devon Local studies centre..

Melvyn

Melvyn Report 16 May 2004 18:29

Thank you to both of you. Helen you say i can view the Census at local Studies Centre's. So couuld i view the Lancashire census in the devon Local studies centre..

Judith

Judith Report 16 May 2004 18:38

Melvyn, The Family Record Centre in London has all the censuses for England and Wales your local county records office will probably just have the censuses for that county. Judith

Melvyn

Melvyn Report 16 May 2004 19:26

Thanks william there is a centre here in Exeter, i will give them a ring in the morning

Kim

Kim Report 17 May 2004 08:11

Wow ,Melvyn you have such a big tree!! You must be related to everybody! KIM