Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Are there such things as Prison records?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 15 May 2004 22:52

Still being a bit of a 'newbie', this might be a very silly question but I'll take the risk! I'm trying to trace my birth father and have been led to believe that he might have served some time at her majesty's pleasure in the mid to late 1960s. I have his full name, approximate age and last known address. Is there any way at all that I can find out if he did go to prison and, if so, how long for? Any help much appreciated.

Unknown

Unknown Report 15 May 2004 22:59

The only silly question is the one that isn't asked. Yes, prison records are kept. I think probably they are confidential, especially as recently as you are looking, but since you are such a near blood relative, you could contact the Home office. They would know what is available. Newspaper reports would be another place to start. Good luck. Helen

Mark

Mark Report 15 May 2004 23:40

I think you will find that if you write to the Home Office the most they will do is inform a serving prisoner that someone is enquiring as to were they are and ask their permission to tell the person enquiring what prison they are currently in. With regard to ex-prisoners I think the data protection act will leave their hands tied. If he did go to prison and you can find out the court that sentenced him they may be able to let you know as the court listings would have been in the public domain anyway. Good Luck

Unknown

Unknown Report 16 May 2004 17:48

Thanks Karen, when I was told about this, there was mention of a newspaper cutting but I'd forgotten about it. I'm really grateful for everyone's suggestions, now I have some ideas where to begin looking. Thanks again.