Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Quintuplets

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sand

Sand Report 15 May 2004 19:35

I am told that I am related to a famous set of quins on my Mam's side. They were famous in the fifties or sixties as it was incredibly rare to have five babies then, especially to have all five survive. I can vaguely remember seeing an old documentary film on them when I was young (the 70's). I believe that the quins MAY have moved to Canada, but could be wrong about that. Does anyone know of a famous set of quins in that era? I would love to see how they link to my tree. My Mam was a Goffin, but related to Munsons and Palins--all unusual names, so this may help someone.

Geoff

Geoff Report 15 May 2004 19:51

There is a list of over 500 sets of quins here http://mypage.direct.ca/c/csamson/multiples/worldquints.html

Unknown

Unknown Report 15 May 2004 20:01

The famous quins were the Dionne quintuplets, born 28 May 1934 to Mr & Mrs Oliva Dionne near Callander, Ontario. They were Marie 1lb 13oz, Emilie 1lb 13oz, Cecile 2lb 3oz, Annette 2lb 6oz, Yvonne 2lb 9oz. Their survival was touch and go at first, and they became part of a media circus in their childhood. apparently their mother was aged 24 when they were born and already had 6 children! Source: Full House: my life with the Dionnes, by Keith Munro, a chapter in book "The Aspirin Age: 1919-1941, edited by Isabel Leighton, pub. Penguin 1949. Helen

Gen

Gen Report 15 May 2004 20:58

Sally if you go to this site it has all the quituplets born in the world http://mypage[.]direct.ca/c/csamson/multiples/worldquints[.]html remove brackets Gen

Sand

Sand Report 16 May 2004 13:42

Many thanks to everyone. You triggered my memory! I think the Dionne quins were the ones on the documentary, and that prompted my Mam to tell me she was related to a set of quins, but I am now doubting if it's the Dionne quins. As far as I know, Mam had no family in Canada--I think our quins were closer to home. I looked on the quins site, Gen, thanks, hoping that would prompt something, but it didn't. All I can hope is someone else spots my notice, who is also related to UK quins of that era! My family are mainly based in County Durham, but there are loads of us, so the quins could come from anywhere in the UK.