Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Where am I going wrong?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Steph

Steph Report 15 May 2004 14:46

Hi all, I am trying to find my grandmother, she married my grandfather and left after one year, she had more children, so I assume she remarried?. I have tried looking for her on BMD, using her maiden name and her first married name to no avail. Where do I go now? or am I missing something? Apart from a brain that is!! Thanx for your help in advance

Unknown

Unknown Report 15 May 2004 14:49

More details please: names, dates, places. Perhaps someone else can find her?

Steph

Steph Report 15 May 2004 14:54

Thanx for your prompt reply!!! Her name is Violet Blanche, maiden name Hopkins, married name Firth born Oct 1928. She was born in Pencombe, Bromyard. She married my grandfather in 1950,( his name Victor Dennis Firth). Thats pretty much all the information I have, except she was traced in 1955 with three more children (sons we think!!) Thanx again, Steph

Christine2

Christine2 Report 15 May 2004 14:56

Do you know the name and approx d/o/b of the first child after she left? If so their birth certificate would give you a clue. I assume it is the possible, later, marriage that you have looked for. If not you could try looking for a marriage under both names. Cheers Chris

Steph

Steph Report 15 May 2004 15:01

Hi, I have no details on her extended family at all!!! No Surname or anything. Perhaps it is a lost cause!!. However I do have details of her parents.

Unknown

Unknown Report 15 May 2004 15:03

Steph In order for her to remarry, she would have to get a divorce. I think you can check divorce records at www.pro.gov.uk/research/easysearch/divorce.htm. A third alternative is that when she left she used a different name to avoid being found! Good luck and let us know how you get on. Helen

Steph

Steph Report 15 May 2004 15:14

Thanks Helen, Fingers crossed its not the third alternative!! I wasn't aware there was a divorce registre online!!!. Thank you Helen you are a star!!! Steph