Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

coroner's records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Norman

Norman Report 15 May 2004 11:51

Ancestor died in mining accident in 1864 at Bushbury, Staffordshire. Death certificate issued in registration of Penkridge, sub district Cannock. Does anyone know how to obtain a copy of the coroner's report?

Unknown

Unknown Report 15 May 2004 12:19

Hallo Don't get too excited, coroner's records are often destroyed, happened to a relie of mine in 1875. Try the local records office. You may find some coverage of the incident in local papers of the time and the county library service should be able to help you with this. Again, don't get too excited, I had a relative who died in 1900, I was told family story that she was killed by a runaway horse and cart. There was no inquest and the local papers only had a death notice giving her age and date of death. V. frustrating! Another thought, there may be mining authority records covering this - local records office/library service may be able to point you in the right direction. Good luck anyway.

Maud

Maud Report 16 May 2004 15:48

Hi, You will probably never be able to obtain the actual record, but if you live near/or can get to London, there are records of every newspaper at Colindale in which you could look for the local paper for the area you are researching and see if there is a report of the inquest. My late husband`s father died because of a gassing accident at home, & I obtained copies of several newspaper reports about the inquest, was even lucky enough to obtain a picture of him, and also discovered he had a second wife! Good luck

Lady on Lynchmere Common

Lady on Lynchmere Common Report 16 May 2004 20:06

Hi Norman Try the coroner for that area and they will tell you if they still have access to the record. All coroners records are usually held by the local records/history office which may have newspaper records too. Deborah