Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

a2a site - pass it on!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 14 May 2004 17:05

For those who don't already know, there is a brilliant website called Access to Archives. It is easy to use and you can find out where records of all kinds are and a brief synopsis of what is in them. For example, where hospital records are kept, details of parish registers, papers relating to land-ownership, graveyard maps etc. It is at www[.]a2a[.]org[.]uk - remember to remove brackets. It also has links to the places documents are held.

Mary

Mary Report 14 May 2004 17:31

Thanks for that tip have book marked this site and will look later. Mary

Mary

Mary Report 14 May 2004 17:32

Helen, I agree with you on this site. I have used it many times. It is especially helpful if you have a birth certificate with no father on it. If you put the mother surname in the keyword, scroll down to the Records Office in the county that the birth was registered, put in dates about 2 years or so after the birth, then click on search. It will bring up several court hearings where the mothers surname has be seen and you could be lucky in finding a bastardy hearing of the mother naming the father. You could also find who went to prison with that particular name. Mary

Sidami

Sidami Report 14 May 2004 21:08

I have just tried that web site but every name I typed in came up with sorry.....what am I doing wrong??